The anticipation for this year’s Beacon show… the theme of which was Jack’s 70th birthday has been building for some time. A sold out show… tickets were at a premium and even we couldn’t get more. We were so blessed on this run to have a two weeks of dates before the the Big One… so we were primed by the time we pulled into Manhattan. Indeed, we truly were, ‘Ready to rock!’
We were specially thrilled to have Marty Balin and his cohorts as special guests for this great show. We had been looking forward to this since we hosted Marty and his guys for a concert at our Fur Peace Ranch. Also on board for this show was our dear friend G.E. Smith who is always welcome when we hit the boards… you never really know what he is going to bring to the mix, but it’s always great.
Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams have become as integral a part of Tuna as it is possible to be. We wish they could be with us everywhere we go… but we’ll take what we can get and be grateful! Justin Guip has taken over that most important seat behind the drums… and he is certainly the last part of the cat over the fence! I could never say too much about my musical mate Barry Mitterhoff. He and I have been picking together since 2002 or thereabouts and it’s been a swell dance…
Needless to say… Jack and I have been friends who have played music together for more years than many couples stay married. What a concept! Check this set list out:
Dec. 13, 2015
1. Jack plays as only he can… and we…
2. Segue into Hesitation Blues
3. I See The Light… enter Justin, Larry, Barry and G.E.
4. Children Of Zion… same gang with Teresa
5. Hit Single # 1… same gang
6. Three Fifths Of A Mile with Marty Balin… The gang and Teresa
7. Plastic Fantastic Lover with Marty Balin… The gang and Teresa
8. Wade In The Water with Teresa
9. Somebody To Love with Teresa
10. Rock Me Baby… The gang
11. A Little Faster… Same gang
1. Marty Trio
2. Marty Trio
3. Marty Trio
4. Blues with Marty Balin… and the gang
5. White Rabbit with Teresa Williams
6. Sugaree with Teresa Williams
7. Bar Room Crystal Ball… with Teresa and Larry on pedal steel…
8. Water Song… Larry on mandolin… Barry on octave mandolin
9. Long Gone From Kentucky with G.E. Smith
10. Big River with Larry Campbell
11. Bowlegged Woman
12. Candy Man… you know the deal (Larry on fiddle)
13. Deep Ellum Blues with Larry and Teresa
14. Funky # 7 … usual crew
15. Encore: Volunteers with Marty Balin and everyone
16. Encore 2: Keep Your Lamps Trimmed & Burning with Larry & Teresa
And of course, since this was a birthday party… we needed a cake… and what a cake!
Well… this morning with the festivities over, we breakfasted at the Viand Cafe with the family and then Vanessa and I took Zach down to Penn Station to catch the bus back to Virginia… school tomorrow.
That’s about it for now. What a grand time! Tomorrow, onward and home!