Home > Diary, Thoughts > Honor Vererans Day… And A Thought For Tomorrow!

Honor Vererans Day… And A Thought For Tomorrow!

November 12th, 2016 Jorma Leave a comment Go to comments
Hallowed ground indeed...

Hallowed ground indeed...

Yesterday was Veterans Day… My Father and his two brothers Tarmo and Pentti all served in WWII. Of course the world continues to turn and our line of warriors remains unbroken to this day. I did not serve… that was not my path. Would I do things differently today? This is a pointless question.

The Jorma of today honors our veterans… past and present, living and dead. They have done things and gone places that will forever be foreign to me. They have offered and given their lives for our country. To the men and women who have served, do serve and will serve… I thank you.

On another and yet quite current subject… the Presidential Election and our collective futures as a country and as humans:

From A Cherokee Parable

An old Cherokee chief was teaching his grandson about life…

“A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.
“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

“One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego.

“The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

“This same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,
“Which wolf will win?”

The old chief simply replied,
“The one you feed.”

Categories: Diary, Thoughts Tags:
  1. Ham n Eggs
    November 12th, 2016 at 09:40 | #1

The Northeast Cherokee never surrendered..
    I met the chief and elders of the tribes some years ago in the woods. We were respecting the burial site of a Revolutionary War massacre. The Borderland is always an interesting place, this one was in the Bronx.
    Peace
    Love All Ways

2. Carey Georgas
    November 12th, 2016 at 09:45 | #2

Thank you, Jorma, for sharing that parable.

3. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 11:54 | #3
  4. rich l
    November 12th, 2016 at 11:55 | #4

Truth

5. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 12:02 | #5

Beware the Dire Wolf. (I feel a song coming on…)

6. Dead Head
    November 12th, 2016 at 12:15 | #6

Don’t murder me

7. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 13:39 | #7

Somebody is grinnig at my window…
    My windows and my whole house are storm-proof, hurricane-proof, tornado-proof,
    earthquake-proof, zombie-proof…

8. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 13:47 | #8

We welcome any person in need of a safe harbor in any type of storm.
    That includes Dead Heads.

9. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 14:07 | #9

This is my 5th comment on this discussion thread. By the current metric of the self-appointed Jorma’s blog comments section regulatory group, I have 15 more comments to go, before there’s an attempt to silence me.
    At least I’m not being threatened with “deportation” from the Jorma blog comments section anymore. (anymore, anymore, anymore, ANYMORE!” LOL!)

Students of American history know that much of the Revolutionary War was fought on the North Eastern coast. There was no other coast, back in those days. The East was the only place to be. (Except for the Native Americans, but let’s not
    take the discussion there because it involves too much, uh, education.)
    To this day, new home-owners (and some developers) find artifacts dating back to that era, while digging a foundation.@Ham n Eggs

November 12th, 2016 at 14:14 | #10

I can’t believe that mostly young protesters are upset at the results of the election. In no other election, that I can remember, did this kind of madness break out. The people of this great country picked the next president on Tuesday. These people should go back to school or work and relax and get behind the president-elect. At least we pissed off the Globalists. We put in a man that doesn’t owe anybody – anything. It’ll be quite refreshing. Happy Veterans Day!

11. doug mlyn
    November 12th, 2016 at 14:28 | #11

I read Jorma’s blog every day and always find inspiration and calm .. and while this is not a forum for political comments, and this is just my own opinion (everybody has one, and you know what else), but I cannot sit silently and say yeah.. this is just another election. there will be another one in 4 years, I cannot get behind a president-elect that ran his campaign on fear and intolerance toward others because tolerance toward others is what this country is about, this is not about which party won. I think he lied to his supporters and made them think he was going to “drain the swamp”. He is packing his administration with ALL washington insiders. There mus be a reason why we can’t remember such madness break out. I won’t say any more.. just felt I had to add my two cents..

November 12th, 2016 at 14:49 | #12

Listen I know my position may not be popular – but this kind of discourse is healthy. The silent majority had enough on the Clintons and the Bushes. This is a republic not a kingdom. I’m sure Kissinger is pissed!
    @doug mlyn

13. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 15:07 | #13

Maintain your position, don’t be deterred.
    There will be another election, four years from now (as Jorma has pointed out, not for the first time here).

I don’t know if you have ever disagreed with me before, here on the comments section. I don’t keep score and I don’t have an enemies list (That’s too Nixonian for me).
    Every two cents adds up.@doug mlyn

14. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 15:28 | #14

My 6th comment on this discussion thread.
    Because there were so many delayed and cancelled flights out of JFK yesterday due to the wind gusts, I don’t know if my flight this evening will be delayed.
    I have an unexpected day off today.

Anybody trying to regulate my current comments, who was witness to the attempted
    coup d’état, with the objective to deport me from this comments section ( never mind what they posted here about/to Andriy, who really exists as a human-being)
    is free to try to scold me. It appears to be a selective enforcement of an imaginary rule.

November 12th, 2016 at 15:35 | #15

She is obsessed with me.

16. Joey Hudoklin
    November 12th, 2016 at 16:07 | #16

@johno
    Control issues
    Big shot-ism

17. Ham n Eggs
    November 12th, 2016 at 16:25 | #17

The silent majority voted for the democrat, who won the majority vote last time I checked.
    6 million less votes were cast for the Democratic candidate than the last presidential election. Still the Democrat won the most votes.
    It’s fitting you write of draining a swamp Sometimes swamps serve as a buffer zone absorbing all kinds of shit. Your boy and half his colleagues in both the houses don’t believe in science. He doesn’t owe anybody? You should have went to disney with Jorma a few weeks ago.
    Globalist? What is that someone who looks to the Seventh Generation?
    Christie? Ghoulieani? Stop and Frisk bridge gate frightened petulant children.
    I worked with students who were stopped 2-5 times a day under your law and order.Remember when you could dance at night in Central Park and feel better when you saw a cop not thinking they were coming to get you.
    Yeah make amerikkka great again
    “… but they never let on about the Roses that grow in the shadows of the black machine, in the shadows of the limousine ” Paul Kantner
    @johno

18. Ham n Eggs
    November 12th, 2016 at 16:35 | #18

Peace
    Love All Ways

19. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 16:52 | #19

I’m certainly not “obsessed” with anybody here. I didn’t troll anybody relentlessly, trying to spread a conspiracy theory. I’ve obviously have better things to do.

I don’t suffer from “big-shot-ism” I never tried to “control” anybody on here.
    That would describe the comment posters above.
    I didn’t know, when I first started posting comments here, that there was a
    pecking-order. I soon found out. I didn’t google anybody who posted on here but others did:

An ignorant Frisbee-trick champ and his followers. Attempting to control comment -posters and calling for the elimination of me and Andriy.
    They seemed to believe that people can sign-up to post comments on this blog section, without Jorma knowing the real identity, contact info.
    Although they were proven wrong, when HamnEggs met Andriy, they didn’t learn from their mistakes. Instead, they doubled-down.

And here they are, together, with the freedom of speech to continue making fools of themselves.

20. Brian Doyle
    November 12th, 2016 at 17:21 | #20

In the attic of my grandfather’s house I found a Purple Heart medal in the drawer of a night table. It belonged to a brother or cousin of his from Pennsylvania who fought in WWII. I couldn’t get much information from my grandparents about it but did find a picture of a military tombstone like at Arlington only it was in some Pennsylvania veteran’s cemetery. The Purple Heart sat in an aging attic bedroom in a drawer with the room still looking like the 1950’s.

Strange that those who refuse to fight wars that all turn out to be based on bullshit and quickly forgotten are reviled by those who do.

21. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 17:48 | #21

The Purple Heart medal was given to those who served their country, bravely on the battlefield.
    All who serve deserve to be honored.
    Purple Heart medals were not given out like candy-corns on Halloween.
    I hope that you framed that medal, under a photo of that family-member.
    If anybody doesn’t want such a medal, I will send them a postage-paid envelope.
    Send it to me. I have a place for it.

22. Dead Head
    November 12th, 2016 at 17:59 | #22

@Barbara Jacobs
    “fools of themselves”?????????? It is beyond me to judge, “that ye be not judged”, but, with the exception of HamnEggs, you are rapidly losing your credibility. By sheer force of numbers. Never mind the globe-trotting, rock-celeb shoulder-rubbing, and Jorma lapsitting posture of yours. “Without Jorma knowing the real identity” really did it. You are soliciting funds on JK’s website. Have you gained his permission/approval? YOUR identity: how are we to know that you are not a convicted felon somewhere in the big house? Or worse, some lunatic Syrian radical? You want us to pull out our credit cards AND give a World-Class frisbee flinger the FUBAR? GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. YOU’RE A MORON!

23. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 18:39 | #23

Oh, Dead Head:
    I don’t need to be judged by you or anybody else here concerning my credibility.

I don’t “lap-sit” Jorma. I don’t need to , and Jorma doesn’t need “lap-sit(ters).

If Jorma had an issue with me, posting a link to a non-profit devoted to helping Veterans — it’s his website. No complaints from Jorma.

Jorma knows me, for decades. I’ve never been arrested, nor convicted as a felon.
    I’m an American. Lunatic Syrian radical?! No, Jorma knows that I am not.
    I don’t care if you “pull out (your credit card)” As a matter of fact:
    Don’t do military Veterans any favors.

“Get out while (I) can”?! From where?
    From here, or from America?

Is that a lame threat?

You are the “moron” (although I didn’t call you that), who posted a comment, directing Hot Tuna fans to not try to purchase tickets legally, to Hot Tuna concerts at the Beacon. You gave precise instructions about going to the place where scalpers were waiting to sell tickets, just around the corner from the Beacon. It sounded as if you are a scalper, or promoting the street-scalpers.

Your “World-Class Frisbee flinger” is nothing , without his Frisbee tricks.

Bring him and your Frisbee(s) to confront me, in person.
    You will need them, to use as bed-pans.
    “Get out while (I) can”? LOL!@Dead Head

24. Dead Head
    November 12th, 2016 at 18:52 | #24

@Barbara Jacobs
    “Threats”?????
    “You are the moron(although I didn’t call you that)” Yeah, you really have my sympathies. Poor old thing. I’m gonna do a 180 and tell you to keep on. I, for one, have become a huge fan of yours. GET ON ME!!!!!!

25. Dead Head
    November 12th, 2016 at 19:02 | #25

@Barbara Jacobs
    Oh yeah, better check the blogs which, incidently, go back to June 2010. I remember your claim but it twas not I. GO BACK AND CHECK BEFORE YOU FALSELY ACCUSE ME. Scalping is not my thing nor have I ever discussed it. Referring to where it is done is in no way promoting it.

26. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 19:33 | #26

Look, Dead Head:
    When you reach up to attempt to pull me down,
    you and your buds are reaching way out of your league.

If I was mistaken, I’d be happy to apologize to you.
    It wasn’t that long ago and my recollection was of you posting a comment
    directing Hot Tuna fans to not worry about trying to purchase tickets, in order to get good seats. Scalpers located around the corner, great seats.

Referring to where the scalpers are located, is in fact, promoting street-scalpers.

I’m not interested to “Get on (you).”
    I have better, more productive things to do.
    I don’t need you to “become a huge fan of (me)”.

If you think that people who work on concert tours, are “globe-trotting,
    rock-celeb shoulder-rubbing”, you have no idea of how the music/touring business works.
    First, you attempt to insult me. Then you attempt to insult Jorma.
    If you are able to participate in an adult discussion, you have not thus far.

27. jim hitchcock
    November 12th, 2016 at 20:00 | #27

..@Dead Head ..no point in taking on B Jacobs, she’s smart as hell, but falls apart when confronted with disagreeing views, makes her lash out, all she knows.

28. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 20:31 | #28

You and/or anybody else here are free to disagree with me.
    I don’t “lash out”. It’s not “all I know”.
    You’ve disagreed with me here, before.
    I was o.k. with it: “you don’t have to agree with me”.

Although your intention may have been good, you actually thought that I had nothing better to do on the day before Veterans Day. I was busy working on plans for various events.
    “Asking that (you) and everybody else here choose sides…”
    Rock on Jim, but don’t come for me. Grow up.

You don’t need to agree with me.
    @jim hitchcock

29. carlo pagliano
    November 12th, 2016 at 21:02 | #29

Rock Them All Strong Tonight Jorma!

30. Barbara Jacobs
    November 12th, 2016 at 21:25 | #30

Here’s Carlo!
    He and I get along here. He doesn’t come calling with insults, he doesn’t count comments or keep score. He doesn’t accuse me of “asking (him) and everybody here “to choose sides…”
    He certainly doesn’t accuse me of “being Jorma’s lap dog” nor does he agree that Jorma needs a “lapdog”.

He’s a good person. So good, in fact:
    I was passing through and we had plans to meet in Milano. Carlo wasn’t feeling well, when I planned to be in Milan. Still, he was willing to meet me. I love him for that, but suggested that he stay home and rest.
    Next time I’m in Milano, it will be my pleasure to see him there.
    His hospitality is beyond compare.

@carlo pagliano

November 12th, 2016 at 23:53 | #31

Unbelieveable – I went out for the evening, I come home and she’s still going at it with others. Spewing her hate filled, mindless ramblings all day and all night on Jorma’s blog. I agree with Dead Head. She is a moron.

32. jim hitchcock
    November 13th, 2016 at 03:19 | #32

Johno,buddy@johno it’s night like you haven’t played your part, as have we all, for months..

There, now I’ve tweeked everybody’s noses, my work here is done ;)

33. jim hitchcock
    November 13th, 2016 at 03:21 | #33

And typing on phones is hard.

34. Joey Hudoklin
    November 13th, 2016 at 05:43 | #34

@jim hitchcock
    It is hate filled.
    Not so smart

35. Joey Hudoklin
    November 13th, 2016 at 05:50 | #35

It’s like a Train wreck.

36. Joey Hudoklin
    November 13th, 2016 at 06:17 | #36

The blog has been (for some time now) been taken hostage.
    The joy in participating in this has been sabotaged.
    Sad

37. carlo pagliano
    November 13th, 2016 at 07:05 | #37

To hate is to stay young, to love is to live too fine. We can hate with love, biblical. In this particular blog frequented by persons of great intelligence, we learn, enjoy and rock to the tip of our toes. We are guests in somebody else’s super soft home every time we click. Great occasion, if we detoured, to catch back the winning trails. Better play it slick and feed the lambkin, for days are open and skies are free, all the beautiful is yet to be. Thank You Jorma for the opportunity.

38. Dead Head
    November 13th, 2016 at 08:27 | #38

My apologies for being a contributor to transforming yesterday’s dialog into a sandbox souffle. I do know better; sometimes unbridled sentiments occur.

39. Carey Georgas
    November 13th, 2016 at 08:59 | #39

Why can’t we be friends, why can’t we be friends, why can’t we be friends, why can’t we be friends…?

40. Dan
    November 13th, 2016 at 10:48 | #40

Came here to find out Jormas views on things and found the WWE. Ain’t that peculiar

41. jim hitchcock
    November 13th, 2016 at 12:52 | #41

Station Break: fun thing

Three weeks ago i opened my front door to find a a four ft tree branch laying on my floor.

Looked up, and here was a softball sized hole in my ceiling. Turns out a 20ft branch from big tree had punctured my roof. Liberty Mutual is replacing my entire roof for $11,007, Carson City has codes requiring laminated shingles, due to wind

42. Dead Head
    November 13th, 2016 at 13:52 | #42

Leon Russell “Cmon and sing it, children”

43. willy
    November 13th, 2016 at 17:24 | #43

Hey @Johno and @Barbara – take it elsewhere.

On the heels of Veteran’s Day, here’s Leonard Cohen’s recitation of John McRae’s poem “In Flanders Fields”. Worth the 3 min to recognize the sacrifices some of us have never been called on, or volunteered, to make.

And RIP Leon Russell.

44. jim hitchcock
    November 13th, 2016 at 17:35 | #44

Got me at ‘An ignorant Frisbee-trick champ and his followers’

Buffaloed.

45. jim hitchcock
    November 13th, 2016 at 17:50 | #45

Another gravelly voice done gone,

@willy

46. AndyK
    November 13th, 2016 at 18:46 | #46

Dead Head :
    Leon Russell “Cmon and sing it, children”

Enjoyed seeing Leon open for the Electric Tuna Boyz in 2014. He is an icon and missed.

47. carlo pagliano
    November 13th, 2016 at 19:01 | #47

It was kind of nine years ago, that i jotted down this little poem whose meaning I hope will pop out notwithstanding my primitive English: – Court Of Review –
    It’s a way to respect the time we have been given
    to restore the ligneous Temple with always fresh arrivals of briar-root
    It establishes it the court of the reason
    vibrating Seneca’s chairs
    if you don’t find an haruspex to hold your condemnation and
    remember we are all some congenital condemned men
    Either our thought hath a story
    or that the idiot wouldn’t be an urgent problem
    are of no interest to a stone and to whom comes and goes
    but a deferred block to be closed and
    that I take with me to the review

48. jim hitchcock
    November 13th, 2016 at 19:20 | #48

@carlo pagliano We’ve never met in person, Carlo, but it’s been a real pleasure to know you all yhese years

49. Barbara Jacobs
    November 13th, 2016 at 19:28 | #49

I’m elsewhere, in England. I left late last night.
    If anybody wants to join me here, they are welcome to do so.
    They can take it anywhere, but they remain on here. Yesterday, today and probably tomorrow.

It’s not political, it dates back from way before the election.
    Now, Trump is back at his place in Trump Tower. His apartment there is modeled on
    Versailles, where actual kings ruled. It’s not a real palace and he’s not a real king, but he likes to think he is.

RIP Leonard Cohen and Leon.@willy

50. Barbara Jacobs
    November 13th, 2016 at 19:38 | #50

“buffaloed”?
    Late to the party but you have the right to enjoy yourself with them. “Got me…”
    LOL! Take any side you want. I don’t care. Revisionist history.
    The internet is forever, worldwide.

If I want to try to reason with immature cry-babies, I’ll go to my friend’s house and talk to Danny. He’s only 5-years-old, so he has an excuse for his ignorance.
    At least he doesn’t sulk for days.@jim hitchcock

Comment pages