Home > Diary, Fur Peace Ranch, Hot Tuna, Set Lists, Thoughts, Venues > Nineteen Years At The Fur Peace Ranch, And A Super Moon!

Nineteen Years At The Fur Peace Ranch, And A Super Moon!

November 14th, 2016 Jorma Leave a comment Go to comments
The Super Moon, Nov. 13, 2016 from my back porch in Darwin, Ohio

The Super Moon, Nov. 13, 2016 from my back porch in Darwin, Ohio

Frosty mornings… the chill came late to us here in Southeast Ohio. Temperatures were down to the low 20’s in the morning. It was our first hard frost… and this late in the season, it’s hard to imagine there will be an Indian Summer. Still and all, it’s just weather and we know what that means… change, like it or not.This weekend my dear friend Barry Mitterhoff returned to the Fur Peace Ranch as did my old buddy, Jack Casady. It’s been a while since we have been graced by Barry’s presence, but it was as comfortable as putting on an old pair of shoes. Also on board for the weekend was my good pal Tom Feldmann. Tom has been with me now for a couple of years. He found his way to us through Roy Book Binder an Stefan Grossman. I am so pleased that he is now a member of the family. He is not only a great guitar player, a writer and generally speaking a serious artist… he’s also a great guy! We definitely had the A team here this weekend… not that all our teams are not A teams.

It’s been a bit since Jack and I did a show together and more than a bit since Barry joined us. What an artistically gratifying evening!

Hot Tuna 28, 2016

8. Death Don’t Have No Mercy
9. Nobody Knows You When You’re Down & Out
Good Shepherd
10. Bar Room Crystal Ball
11. Water Song
12. Encore: Embryonic Journey

Thanks to Pete for the set list corrections. I’ll have to talk to Myron about this… :)

Together... again

Together... again

Foto by Lee Cantor

Sunday the open mike for ‘The Kids,’ was awesome. In the space of the last three days we lost Leonard Cohen, Robert Vaughn and Leon Russell. At my age mortality has become a companion, and in an odd way a friend. As a friend, mortality reminds me to make the most of every day, every moment, every friend, my family… most beloved they are… and the musical notes I am still privileged to be able to share with the world. Each day is indeed precious in a way that would nave escaped me as a young man.

In any case, Vanessa got together with Phil Rosen and the two of them honored Leonard Cohen with a touching rendition of Dance Me To The End Of Love!

Phil and Vanessa... Dance Me To The End Of Love

Phil and Vanessa... Dance Me To The End Of Love

Then this morning as the weekend was officially over, Tom’s and my class got together for a picture…

The eagles have gathered

The eagles have gathered

Foto by Carol Doherty

It will be another 20 some years until the next Super Moon… as for moments with friends and family, each stands alone… yet hangs together like cut glass tears on a chandelier… precious and fragile.

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

Omar Khayyám

Nor would I have it otherwise…

1. JD
    November 14th, 2016 at 22:11 | #1

Thank you for the inspiring reminder to live life to its fullest, and for all the help in doing so.

2. Chappy
    November 14th, 2016 at 22:36 | #2

Super weekend in SE Ohio…chanced upon Joe Marcinek Band on Friday night at Venue of Dreams on Stimson Avenue. Was not familiar with him but noticed Cody Dickinson (of North Miss. All Stars) was playing drums in his band so we figured it had to be good. And, it was actually great! Some Dead, Band, and Fish covers mixed in with originals and a lot of jamming. Joe Marcinek was great on guitar and an incredibly talented keyboard player by the name of Holly Bowling was out of this world! Check her out on YouTube some time. Chatted with Cody after the show for a few minutes as we recalled a show last year in Charlottesville, VA on the night of a blinding snowstorm with their NMO incarnation (North Miss. Allstars with Anders Osborne) And then of course Saturday night at FPR was as magical as ever with you, Jack, and Barry! My brother and long-time buddies never leave FPR without being truly amazed at what we witnessed and Saturday night was another one of those grand nights. Thank you for doing what you do…very much enjoyed and appreciated. As always, big thanks to Hurl, Vanessa, and the entire FPR staff for super hospitality and top-notch service. Look forward to seeing you in Richmond on 11/27.

3. Anna Stegemoeller
    November 15th, 2016 at 09:55 | #3

So folks were really feeling it at the show Saturday. That’s awesome. Heck, I am feeling it clear up here in Vermont days later just reading about it…musta been something.
    Well, one thing coming when FPR is done with classes for the year – tour time!!! yea, baby. The Egg, in Albany, and The Orpheum, in Boston with TTB are treats to myself. Feeling the excitement of that coming ahead. I will carry it into all the moments of this glorious day. :)
    We as creatures have our different ways. One thing, imo – we all share in the pull of the moon. I am fortunate, as well, to have had good viewing with clear sky…rain tonight though.

4. rich l
    November 15th, 2016 at 10:16 | #4

The Super Moon brought to mind and old song that I used to follow the bouncing ball on when it was played on the Mitch Miller Show – Shine On Harvest Moon. Ah, those were simpler times….

The night was mighty dark so you could hardly see,
    For the moon refused to shine.
    Couple sitting underneath a willow tree,
    For love they did pine.
    Little maid was kinda ‘fraid of darkness
    So she said, “I guess I’ll go.”
    Boy began to sigh, looked up at the sky,
    And told the moon his little tale of woe

Oh, Shine on, shine on, harvest moon
    Up in the sky;
    I ain’t had no lovin’Since April, January, June or July.
    Snow time, ain’t no time to stay Outdoors and spoon;
    So shine on, shine on, harvest moon,For me and my gal.

I can’t see why a boy should sigh
    when by his side
    Is the girl he loves so true,
    All he has to say is: “Won’t you be my bride,For I love you?
    I can’t see why I’m telling you this secret,
    When I know that you can guess.”
    Harvest moon will smile,S hine on all the while,
    If the little girl should answer “yes.”

Fantastic play list Jorma…but I’m morose. I keep checking your Tour schedule and conspicuously absent is a trip to Chicago this winter. If I’m not mistaken, you played the last two Decembers in the Windy City. You spoiled us. LOL- I would even pay up to $5.00 more per ticket if that’s an issue! (My friend Montana Bob once said he saw you guys in Missoula, MT, and the ticket was way too cheap.)

By the way, I learned something about the Super Moon – it is currently at its perigee – at its apogee, the furthest point – it is 33,000 miles further away from the earth. Can you imagine a song about the moon’s perigee and apogee, as opposed to two moonstruck lovers? I recall in my physics class a student told our teacher, “Some people say physics is taking the color out of the rainbow.” The teacher smiled and said there was some truth to that.

November 15th, 2016 at 11:08 | #5

Congratulations on 19 years at FPR. Who would have thought 20 years ago that you’d be so successful. I will try to make it out there one of these days for a concert. It’s on my bucket list. You have turned SE Ohio into a guitarist nirvana. Sort of a guitar “Field of Dreams”. Build it and they will come.

6. Carey Georgas
    November 15th, 2016 at 12:51 | #6

Brings to mind the refrain of Guy Clark’s “Old Friends”:

“Old friends, shine like diamonds,
    Old friends, you can always call,
    Old friends, Lord, you can’t buy ‘em
    You know, it’s old friends after all.”

7. Doug Mlyn
    November 15th, 2016 at 13:08 | #7

Congrats on 19 years! hope many more to come.. Really looking forward to the string of west coast shows coming up next year!

8. Andy K
    November 15th, 2016 at 13:23 | #8

One day I’ll get to the Ranch and the Pho Peace restaurant!
    OT
    Electric Hot Tuna @ The Egg in Albany (one of the best concert venues on the planet).
    This Sunday 11-20.
    I have 2 tickets -Great Center Orchestra seats (row E)
    My loss should be your gain. Let me know!
    Well worth the drive or Amtrak from NYC.

9. eaglesteve
    November 15th, 2016 at 13:43 | #9

Captain: I have my Beacon tickets. If you can spare a moment can you say who else is accompanying the boys? Just asking because I thought the Port Chester Capital how trio was spectacular. Call me old fashioned.

10. Anna Stegemoeller
    November 15th, 2016 at 15:53 | #10

Sure goes to show how a great chorus can carry a song – Shine on Harvest Moon – for example…there’s hope for my ‘Wagging the Woogie’ song yet!

11. November 15th, 2016 at 20:06 | #11

RIP Mose
    My condolences to John and family
    Years ago in New Paltz John and I were introduced over a mutual love of Tuna. Another friend said don’t you like anything else? Like what? Mose Allison! John replied he’s my fathers.
    It was great hearing of him listening to Sandanista and John coming back to talk about it. Loved when Jorma did Parchman Farms.
    Peace
    Love All Ways

12. willy
    November 15th, 2016 at 21:01 | #12

Looking forward to Tabernacle and Beacon shows later this week Jorma. Maybe break out Parchman again in memory of Mose? Would love to hear that again. Right @HamnEggs?

13. November 15th, 2016 at 21:41 | #13

Trio only, Big Dog

14. Pete
    November 16th, 2016 at 01:53 | #14

Thank you for another fantastic weekend at FPR. How each time exceeds the previous I’ll never know.

A couple of edits to the set list: I See The Light before Ain’t in No Hurry, and Good Shepherd before Bar Room Crystal Ball.

15. Brian Doyle
    November 16th, 2016 at 01:54 | #15

Leon Russell was well known to me as a 16 year old kid. It is so long ago I almost had to remind myself who he was. Give this a listen y’all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBpppw1v_I

16. HOGAN
    November 16th, 2016 at 04:58 | #16

Congrats on 19 years…
    Nice set list, always nice to see old friends….

:-)

17. eaglesteve
    November 16th, 2016 at 10:22 | #17

Thanks Captain: I Can’t Get (Mo’) Satisfied.

18. Steve Levenson
    November 16th, 2016 at 11:13 | #18

I met Robert Vaughn at a trade show (HVAC stuff). This was maybe 15 years ago. He was wearing white dress shirt, tie, and a running suit. He nice guy, good sense of humor.
    “Do you every talk to “David McCallum”
    “We speak every Friday”
    “Please tell him I said hello”
    “Do you know him?”
    “Nope”
    (laughing)”I’d be glad to.”

19. Jim Bacon
    November 16th, 2016 at 11:20 | #19

Thanks to the whole FPR crew and classes for a great weekend!

20. Robert Burke
    November 16th, 2016 at 12:20 | #20

Can I put my requests in? Haha. Can’t wait for the Beacon and the Keswick.

November 16th, 2016 at 13:11 | #21

Please play ‘Feels So Good’ at the Beacon this Saturday. That song epitomizes Hot Tuna – your music makes me feel so good! Plus I haven’t heard it in decades.

22. Andy K
    November 16th, 2016 at 13:22 | #22

Walkin’ Blues

23. Brett
    November 16th, 2016 at 14:28 | #23

Congrats on 19 years of Fur Peace !!

The very Last workshop weekend of FPR year 10 was my First visit..November 2007…….GE Smith workshop for me…Hot Tuna All Stars on Saturday night

My Seventh workshop weekend was REV weekend last month….. To echo what Pete said ….”How each time exceeds the previous I’ll never know”….but they always do

Thanks Jorma….Vanessa…Hurl….Brett….Kelly…..Miss Kitty…….

Have a great Tuna Tour Jorma

B

24. Barbara Jacobs
    November 16th, 2016 at 15:52 | #24

You weren’t “rubbing shoulders” with “celebrities”. You just met him at an event.

If anybody is envious of other people who meet “celebrities”:
    go volunteer to work at a non-profit in Manhattan. You aren’t required to be a NYC. resident. You can take your pick of any holiday “food-kitchen”.
    You will work beside them. (”work”, being the key word/verb.)
    @Steve Levenson

25. Barbara Jacobs
    November 16th, 2016 at 15:59 | #25

Jorma:
    FPR was always a good idea and in its current anniversary year, it has proven, year after year, to be a great place for education. So now, is your website.
    Rock on, Jorma and Vanessa.

26. Barbara Jacobs
    November 16th, 2016 at 16:04 | #26

Also, every big city in America, has charity-supported “food-kitchens”.
    Not just during the holidays, they are open and working, year-round.

27. Doug Mlyn
    November 16th, 2016 at 16:54 | #27

speaking of Parchman Farm.. Heard Van the Man cover that song… and he did give credit to Mose

28. Barbara Jacobs
    November 16th, 2016 at 18:05 | #28

“Van the Man, Van the Man!”
    Check out the biography: “Georgie Fame: There’s nothing else to do”
    ( written and researched by: Uli Twelker, my friend in Germany.)
    He has posted here before, with his co-workers at “Good Times” magazine.@Doug Mlyn

29. November 16th, 2016 at 19:59 | #29

I was skiing right out of college (Winter 74- not Winterland), at Stowe in Vt.
    We had seen “SWEET PIE”, he was “nearby”, the night before .
    As I got on the chair -from the other side and on the ride up,Robert McCullum-Illya Kuryakin was my mate to the top.
    I beat him down,to the lift that is

30. Barbara Jacobs
    November 16th, 2016 at 22:01 | #30
  31. DennisK
    November 16th, 2016 at 23:14 | #31

Mt. Tabor is a New Jersey state treasure. A real historical gem. A spiritual retreat in the hills. Dare I say, pin their ears back. Save travels to you and yours.

See ya soon!

32. Lee Cantor
    November 16th, 2016 at 23:44 | #32

Jorma: Many thanks for another amazing, learning experience/weekend. Vanessa and you run a class act, and I’m loving it more every time I attend. Also, thanks for posting the photo!!

See you guys over the weekend. Safe rides.

-LC

33. Ham n Eggs
    November 17th, 2016 at 07:15 | #33

Congratulations on 19 years.
    Vanessa you kick ass.
    Everybody involved should take a bow.
    Peace
    Love All Ways

34. Ham n Eggs
    November 17th, 2016 at 09:57 | #34

SHAME ON YOU JOHNO
    missed last years Beacon did you?
    Peace
    Love All Ways
    @John

November 17th, 2016 at 10:48 | #35

I was there. I haven’t missed a Beacon show since Jorma’s 70th birthday bash. The show started off with a Jack Casady bass solo that led right into ‘Candy Man’. It was a great show. Who told you I wasn’t there?
    @Ham n Eggs

November 17th, 2016 at 11:24 | #36

It was also when Hot Tuna and guests played several Jefferson Airplane songs during their 2nd set. I also saw my old friends Daisy and Jim Patrick who flew in from California just for the show.
    @Ham n Eggs

37. Ham n Eggs
    November 17th, 2016 at 12:55 | #37

Song number 11 Feel So Good look up last years set list lol
    Maybe it was the brown acid?
    @johno

November 17th, 2016 at 14:03 | #38

Mine was blue windowpane – remember that. Those were the days – high times. I could be wrong about the songs – my memory is not what it was. I have a half full bottle of Stoli with liquid acid from 1980. It has silver electrical tape around it’s neck so I don’t use it accidentally. I wonder if it’s still good.
    @Ham n Eggs

39. Dead Head
    November 17th, 2016 at 14:55 | #39

THIRTY-SIX YEAR OLD ELECTRIC VODKA….YIKES, MAKE SURE IT IS GROUNDED.

40. carey georgas
    November 17th, 2016 at 15:58 | #40

Question: Ya’ll still sellin’ pho up there on Wed. & Thur.? I have a trip planned to D. C. in late March, and as your shows are already sold out around the date I’ll be in your neck of the woods, I’m thinking about planning a little side trip to come break bread at your restaurant.

41. carey georgas
    November 17th, 2016 at 15:58 | #41

Hell, not break bread, I meant slurp noodles.

42. Brian Doyle
    November 17th, 2016 at 16:15 | #42

Turner Classic Movies showed ‘Woodstock’ last night and Jorma playing Uncle Sam Blues:

” Well, Uncle Sam ain’t no woman
    You know he sure can take your man
    Said Uncle Sam ain’t no woman
    You know he sure can take your man “

43. eaglesteve
    November 17th, 2016 at 17:07 | #43

That bottle may be dusty
    but the liquor is clean….

44. Dead Head
    November 17th, 2016 at 17:48 | #44

Brown-eyed women and red grenadine. Old man never was the same again……

45. eaglesteve
    November 17th, 2016 at 18:20 | #45

The liquor is clean………it’s been acid-washed

46. November 17th, 2016 at 18:49 | #46

Burgers version of True Religion is radically different from the German Salafist version
    Hallelujah!

November 17th, 2016 at 19:33 | #47

I think I’ll have an electric martini tonite.
    @eaglesteve

48. November 17th, 2016 at 19:52 | #48
  49. Brian Doyle
    November 18th, 2016 at 00:37 | #49

@johno

Almost certain to have degraded and possibly gone toxic, though I don’t pretend chemistry knowledge.

50. carlo pagliano
    November 18th, 2016 at 15:20 | #50

Rock Them All Pho Tonight Jorma!

Comment pages