Home > Diary, Fur Peace Ranch, Set Lists, Thoughts > 9/11… Sixteen Years Later

9/11… Sixteen Years Later

September 11th, 2017 Jorma Leave a comment Go to comments

September 11 crept up on me this year. In some ways 9/11/01 seems like a lifetime ago and in others it was only yesterday. At eleven years old those moments a decade and a half ago are more unimaginable to my daughter than WWII is to me. She has inherited this world along with the rest of us, but she was not yet born when it was.

This morning was the closing of another session at the Fur Peace Ranch and even though I wasn’t teaching this weekend I played a little coffee break concert at the Beatrice Love Kitchen. They had just started reading the names of the fallen as I picked up my guitar and headed on over to the porch. In memory of those who perished that day and those who continue to perish as a result of that day, I played Washington Phillip’s ‘What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?’ I could think of nothing more fitting.

I will remember 9/11 as long as I have breath… where I was, what I was doing, who I was talking to, what I was thinking about… I do not know if that is a good or a bad thing, but that is how it is.

I remember it all… and I mourn in my own way.

Categories: Diary, Fur Peace Ranch, Set Lists, Thoughts Tags:
  1. Ham n Eggs
    September 11th, 2017 at 20:58 | #1

Lest we forget
    surfs up at Bell’s Beach
    Johnny Heffernan Presente
    Peace
    Love All Ways

2. Joey Hudoklin
    September 12th, 2017 at 01:32 | #2

I lived through it.
    NY came together beautifully. I was so proud tho be a NY’er.
    Also I remember Hot Tuna acoustic at the Beacon that November.
    Very emotional. Tears flowing in that audience.

3. George Henn
    September 12th, 2017 at 08:25 | #3

“It’s a God almighty world we’re living in.” How true.

4. carey georgas
    September 12th, 2017 at 12:31 | #4

Amen, brother.

September 12th, 2017 at 15:15 | #5

@Joey Hudoklin
    I remember that show – they started off with “Keep Your Lamps” and played “Death Don’t Have No Mercy” You could feel the tension in the air. We were all in shock. The Boyz helped us get through it. We still had Hot Tuna.

6. Hogan
    September 12th, 2017 at 15:44 | #6

It’s our duty as Americans to never forget and honor all those innocent people who lost their lives that day.
    Thank you Jorma for posting and remembering every year.

Hope all is well.
    Hogan
    :-)

7. eaglesteve
    September 13th, 2017 at 17:02 | #7

Well said Captain, and agreed. Thanks.

8. Barbara Jacobs
    September 14th, 2017 at 15:25 | #8

Only those of us who actually lived, worked and/or volunteered at Ground Zero, lived through it.

@Ham n Eggs
    Only those who actually volunteered during the aftermath, while living in those areas, working there and or/or volunteering, lived through it.

9. Richu
    September 14th, 2017 at 19:31 | #9

@Barbara Jacobs
    That’s somewhat vindictive response to joey is it not BJ.?

10. mikie
    September 15th, 2017 at 08:18 | #10

I spent my 9/11 driving back from Minneapolis, where I was indeed fortunate to witness a John Prine concert with Larry and Teresa as the ‘warm up’ act. Daggone, that lady has a ’set of pipes’! They came out and did a couple songs with John, too, then came out for the encore of Paradise – which is where I thought I was. I caught my first Tiger Muskie fish, too, but the Prine show was certainly the high point of the trip. m

11. Barbara Jacobs
    September 15th, 2017 at 09:39 | #11

Living through it, survivors lived through it. Families and loved ones of the victims lived through that experience and they still live with it.
    Others in NYC experienced it. Offices and retail locations were closed for a day or two, most reopened after two days. Many places employed family members and loved ones of the victims. They experienced it in their own way. Residents of Battery Park City lived through it and were unable to return to their apartments because of damage. Others who left their windows open couldn’t return home because of the debris.

Anybody out on Seventh Ave. could see the smoke for many months. That was formerly the best view of the Trade Center buildings. Residents and people whose windows faced south could also see the smoke. They all experienced it in their own way.

My building at the time was on the east side. I couldn’t see it from my windows. Every day for three months, I went down there and volunteered. I experienced it in that way.
    The other volunteers experienced it in the same way. First responders were working right inside the rubble. They experienced it in their own way. At first, there was a lot of picking through the rubble to find personal items belonging to the victims. That added a personal dimension to the experience.

I now live in a building where the view from the roof is of all of the Manhattan skyline,
    from downtown up to midtown east. When I go up there I can see the Freedom Tower.
    From the median on the street in front of my building, there’s a direct view of the Freedom Tower. I see it every day when I’m home. There are also many memorials around town and some very nicely painted wall murals, worked-on by neighborhood residents.

Yesterday, Ham n Eggs sent me a photo of a beautiful sidewalk chalk drawing of “9/11″ and the towers with an inscription “Never Forget”. He saw it in Inwood, which is a neighborhood uptown.
    I lived through the Ground Zero experience, from day one but I prefer to say that I volunteered there.

12. rich l
    September 15th, 2017 at 11:00 | #12

Well put Barbara.

Those of us from the rest of our country lived through it in our own way. I wish I could get the image of the planes crashing into the Towers, and then watching them collapse, out of my mind – I’m sure they will never go away. The omnipresent fear of a random attack, whether it be in a movie theatre, concert, athletic event, house of worship, subway train, is always lingering in my thoughts.

“Life…has…changed
    How it differs from the rocks…” @Barbara Jacobs

September 15th, 2017 at 12:22 | #13

Let’s finally get the truth of what really happened on 9/11. The silence is deafening. They have a untruthful, second rate investigation. I don’t believe it at all. You’ll be surprised of those involved. It was a mini nuke. And the media were on board. Let’s not be complacent – the truth must come out. They’re trying hard to sweep it under the rug. i.e. JFK, MLK, RFK JFK JR etc etc etc

14. carey georgas
    September 15th, 2017 at 14:32 | #14

Jeezalou, Johno, any kind of nuke woulda left a considerable radiation footprint. Our government may have been complacent in its pursuit of intelligence warnings, but it didn’t have to kill 3200+ of its citizens just to get back into Iraq. Crazy shit’s been happening since the dawn of civilization, and crazy don’t need no conspiracy. It’s just life, and tragedy is a part of it.

15. Barbara Jacobs
    September 15th, 2017 at 16:21 | #15

How true.
    The first person I called was Wavy Gravy in San Francisco.
    Because I wanted him to turn on the tv so he could witness the attack in real-time. We had no idea at that time — there would be no survivors. Only those lucky enough to live through it — the attack itself and the heroic efforts of first responders who arrived on the scene within minutes. They were guided down all of those stairs, some carrying others.
    Those victims lived through it.

Others who lived through it, were those very unfortunate to be at that place at the wrong time. Not residents, not workers at local businesses — but they were staying at the hotel across the street: tourists and business travel folks. They lived through it.

Thank you.

@rich l

September 15th, 2017 at 16:22 | #16

The place was full of thermite. But they got rid of the steel fast – to China. The Bushes were involved. Just imagine 2 terms of JFK, RFK, JFK JR. It would be a different, humanitarian and peaceful world.

o

17. Barbara Jacobs
    September 15th, 2017 at 16:23 | #17

@carey georgas
    Oh man, the nonsense comments that guy posts on a regular basis here.

18. September 15th, 2017 at 21:54 | #18

I don’t normally get involved in the comments… I tend to leave you all on your own… most of the time. On this one all I can say is the conspiracy theorists can kiss my ass… Grow up and live in the real world. As far as our real enemies are concerned… bring it on assholes.

I can’t believe this shit.

Jorma

19. Ham n Eggs
    September 16th, 2017 at 06:27 | #19

Thank you,thank you,thank you.
    Peace
    Love All Ways
    @Jorma

20. Barbara Jacobs
    September 16th, 2017 at 09:31 | #20

As rich pointed out, we are living through scary times throughout the country and the (real) world.
    Thoughts about fear of random attacks are part of our collective daily life.
    A good way to counter that is to be very alert at all times out in public.
    I was on the Lexington Ave. bus not long ago and a passenger got on with a backpack.
    It wasn’t a very large backpack and when he took it off to sit, he put it under his seat.
    I just observed and made a mental note. If he got up to get off the bus and didn’t take the backpack with him — I would need to remind him. If he ignored my reminder and rushed off the bus — that’s trouble. I’ve seen quite a few passengers who are absent-minded leaving bags or luggage behind. I always remind them and so far that’s been good for them, good for me and everybody else.

I thought about that when I saw the news report of a bomb exploding on a commuter train in England yesterday. The terrorist got on that metro-car with it in a big bag and apparently put it on the floor next to him. When he left the train — he didn’t take it with him. Nobody noticed because maybe they were reading, checking their phones or snoozing. Maybe somebody saw him leave without it but didn’t remind him.
    Being alert is crucial.

@rich l

September 16th, 2017 at 10:21 | #21

Sorry for raising your blood pressure. “Just Give me the Truth” – John Lennon

22. Joey Hudoklin
    September 16th, 2017 at 13:06 | #22

@johno
    ♡♡♡

23. Dead Head
    September 16th, 2017 at 17:12 | #23

Reminds me of a Buzzy Linhart song…………..

24. Richu
    September 16th, 2017 at 19:00 | #24

@Barbara Jacobs
    Blimey….why not call it what it is.tube.

25. carey georgas
    September 17th, 2017 at 10:04 | #25

I’m sittin’ here watching Farm Aid 2017, and I gotta say I love Willie Nelson. I was 18 and living in Austin when he released Shotgun Willie, and I been listening and watching ever since. If I had to pick one thing makes me proud to be a Texan, it’s that Willie is a native brother. Eighty-four and still doing a 90 minute show, and there ain’t no chairs on the stage. An inspiration to all us creakers.

26. September 17th, 2017 at 10:24 | #26

I like Jorma’s response
    I think we should ask Crosby however,I’m sure he’s got 50 conspiracies to introduce.
    Curious I’ve been to a million concerts ,not many burkas in front row.

27. September 17th, 2017 at 10:26 | #27

And pack

28. September 17th, 2017 at 10:50 | #28

Saw Dwight Yocum last night-his version of little queenie made Stones version stand still.
    After show ,booked to see him open for Willie in Chatanooga( we’ll be staying at the Chattanooga choo choo,we’ll make it to Lookout MTn for battlefield view.
    While at Belterra( not much of a fan historically of casino gigs,but the people watching with mild buzz was best.
    Got tickets for Brian’s pet sounds tour as well with Al Jardine and Blondir Chapman as well.
    Nice thing about being in Lex Ky area is that with 3-4 hrs drive you can be to most midwestern cities and many in South,crowds different from coasts.

Back to 9/11- we shall NEVER forget,-good read “In the showdown of the sword”-a primer on the spread of Islam.Rubio made comment in 2 nd debate -it breezed everybody( it was summarily dismissed)-he said this is a clash of civilizations.As heinous as that might sound,I believe it to be 100% true.It was dismissed with the same arrogance and effitism as the 2012 presidential debates when the sitting president,chided Romney and said that his assertion that Russia was posturing and a dangerous threat to intl stability,the wise One told him he was backdated and stuck in Cold War rhetoric.I don’t think “the trajectory of history”, one of his favored professions ,is actually a trajectory.I prefer the cyclical analysis.

Additionally ,we bought tickets to the concert for NY and flew in over the still fuming trade centers ,after some very good music the highlights were Adam Sandlers skit on ossama bin laden,and the Irish fire fighter from queens ,who chided that OBL ,could kiss his royal Irish arse.
    I wish I had thought of that first.

Keep on truckin mama,

What’s that smell like fish oh mama??

29. September 17th, 2017 at 11:07 | #29

Shadow of the sword
    Sorry for misspell

30. Barbara Jacobs
    September 17th, 2017 at 16:43 | #30

@Greg Martelli
    All good, Gregg.
    What happened here on this blog comments section (while you were away, doing other
    important things):

Two of the worst trolls, Joey (the High School Drop-Out) and johno (who has posted comments, in the past, claiming to have a College degree — his tuition money should be refunded to him. ), tried, as always, continuing to keep this comment section dumb.
    They have nothing of intellectual substance to offer here — so they troll, posting
    lame insults against anybody who has a brain.

The evidence of how the freedom of speech, which Jorma has generously allowed them, (and
    they have taken advantage of, always trolling and trying to dismiss those who have innocently posted comments here) — is evident here on this comments thread.

They plot together, offline. They try to control this comments section, with their bully comments.
    They got a slap-down from Jorma.
    Yet — they still return in defiance of Jorma’s comment, trying to troll Jorma.
    They can’t bully Jorma — so they try to reinstate themselves here — as if their previous comments never took place.

They are ignorant and idiotic. That’s the “truth”.

31. Barbara Jacobs
    September 17th, 2017 at 17:28 | #31

Oh, it’s been pointed out to me, that one of their imbecilic followers: “Richu” has posted another of his lame-brain attempts to engage me into responding to his moronic questions.

32. Joey Hudoklin
    September 17th, 2017 at 17:54 | #32

What are you talking about?
    Shame

33. Joey Hudoklin
    September 17th, 2017 at 18:15 | #33

There’s only one consistently sharing hateful garbage on this blog.
    There is no credibility in that.
    I don’t come here for this.
    There’s too much hate “out there”
    I’ve had enough.
    Sorry to the folks who care.
    Out

September 17th, 2017 at 18:29 | #34

There is nothing worse then a big mouthed New York Bitch.
    Who has no clue what truth is.

35. Barbara Jacobs
    September 17th, 2017 at 18:45 | #35

Jorma will be the judge of that.
    The constant lame insults, the continued efforts of those to eliminate other commenters
    here on this blog comments section.
    They are unable and unwilling to co-exist and have proven it continuously.
    Evidently they believe that this website and this blog comments section belongs to them.

36. Ham n Eggs
    September 17th, 2017 at 18:59 | #36

I believe the FF had lost his brother, who was also aFF. Peace and Love always to Rockaway Beach

@Greg Martelli
    Peace
    Love All Ways

37. Dead Head
    September 17th, 2017 at 19:06 | #37

And you think that it belongs to you.

38. Barbara Jacobs
    September 17th, 2017 at 19:08 | #38

Another idiot.

39. Dead Head
    September 17th, 2017 at 19:44 | #39

Department of redundancy department. Your fly swatter will eventually wear out. Of course it is always comforting to know that there exists ONE brilliant leader to enable the rest of us to navigate the nonsense that seems to prevail. That appears to be your destiny, Jacobs. That and your alter ego the Ukrainian; you know, the one that supplements the slack, your backup when your footprint becomes mired and you must employ an imaginary sidekick because on your own it is too much for one idiot such as you to swallow

40. carey georgas
    September 17th, 2017 at 21:19 | #40

So, I guess if we’d had 2 terms each of JFK, RFK, and JFK, Jr. you’d have nothing but love for your sister. Conspired out of your own humanity. @johno

41. September 18th, 2017 at 08:44 | #41

Andrily got tired of this BS over a year ago. He has better things to do.
    Peace
    Love All Ways
    @Dead Head

42. Trisha Awe-Bredekamp
    September 18th, 2017 at 13:26 | #42

Jorma a very fitting song indeed. Living on Long Island, less than an hr from NYC it does seem like yesterday. It just doesn’t get easier at times. So many funerals here back then. It pains me to see the country so divided. From Julian Lennon”s post:
    Birthplace:Earth
    Race:Human
    Politics:Freedom
    Religion:Love
    Love you Jorma, you are my go to read when I’m down and need a lift. And now with your drone you lift me higher with your pics. Thank you

43. Barbara Jacobs
    September 18th, 2017 at 14:08 | #43

That other idiot (as part of the same johno–joey- deadhead trolls group)
    still don’t seem to understand:
    This is Jorma’s website. He is hands-on here.
    Jorma knows who each and every comment poster is, in real life.
    Jorma knows me and also knows Andriy.

Although the Joey — Johno — Deadhead, (and their mindless followers) continued to troll
    Andriy and I here, declaring that I was “posting comments under several identities”,
    on and on… Jorma knows who I am and also knows Andriy, as the individuals that we are.

Jorma has been in contact with Andriy.
    Yet, they continue to troll me here and have now started to troll Jorma — on his own website blog comments section.

Ham n Eggs has met Andriy.

What a bunch of losers the leaders of the Joey — Johno — deadhead movement, are and have always been here, on Jorma’s blog comments section of his website.

44. Barbara Jacobs
    September 18th, 2017 at 14:26 | #44

That being said:
    When Jorma’s book is complete, it will be published.

There may be more readers who want to be a part of his website, posting comments here.
    Any educated readers and any female readers/commenters:
    if the ignorant, hater trolls are still here — just appeal to Jorma to allow you to post comments, without abuse from the trolls.

September 18th, 2017 at 14:30 | #45

The Bloviator is finally the Queen of the Blog. She is trying to troll all those who don’t like her bloviating. Since Leona Helmsley – the original Queen of Mean died. We have a new one. Madame Bloviator.

46. Barbara Jacobs
    September 18th, 2017 at 14:44 | #46

Still the same idiot.
    Still attempting to disrupt intelligent commentary on this blog comments section.
    Continues to act as if he is in Jorma’s good graces, when in fact — Jorma just slapped him down.

A moron.

September 18th, 2017 at 15:02 | #47

First of all the Bloviator is not a Tuna fan. Second of all she’s always disappears when Hot Tuna comes to town. Thirdly her constant diatribe is usually not about Hot Tuna. And to top it off she feels that she is more intellectual than the rest of us peasants.

48. Barbara Jacobs
    September 18th, 2017 at 16:17 | #48

An idiot, who believes that Jorma does not know who I am.

49. Barbara Jacobs
    September 18th, 2017 at 17:11 | #49

And worse than that — he wants you, who are reading his nonsense, to believe him.

September 18th, 2017 at 17:23 | #50