Home > Diary, Thoughts > Three Old Dogs

Three Old Dogs

Old friends... still the best!

Old friends... still the best!

Foto by Vanessa Kaukonen

Friends are always good… you can’t have too many of them. All that being said, there is that not so elusive quality that old friends share. They know where you come from and how you got where you are. You have shared moments of life and loss. Life evolves as it must for each of us in its own way, but at the end of the day… you are still friends. Here you see my dear friends Jerry, Chuck and myself. Fifty years ago when I was making my bones in the music world, they were both in Vietnam and yet here we are today breaking bread at Salaam in Athens, Ohio where the spice road cuisine is always good.

Golden moments indeed!

I love these guys…

Categories: Diary, Thoughts Tags:
  1. Mitch Spector
    July 20th, 2018 at 09:06 | #1

Looking good Jorma !! Party on .Life is beautiful ..Enjoy the weekend .

2. carey georgas
    July 20th, 2018 at 11:00 | #2

The late Guy Clark wrote a beautiful song about old friends. They shine like diamonds.

3. John B
    July 20th, 2018 at 12:21 | #3

” Remember old friends we made along the way.
    The gifts they gave that stay with us every day.”

Mary McCaslin:

4. Steven Levenson
    July 20th, 2018 at 13:05 | #4

And you wore matching outfits……

5. July 20th, 2018 at 14:02 | #5

I’m a little late to discussion as it appears to have moved from the subject of the firebird guitar to the more gratifying camaraderie of Hawain shirt club .
    But I do have a question for Jorma,which takes us back a chapter to equipment, did you ever plug into John
    Cippolinas fender stack with the horns on it?
    If so any opinion?
    If not ,what was the Caps opinion on the rig?
    Finally what ever happened to the stars and stripe top hat that Jerry wore that Jack inherited,it should be in silo.
    I’m sure it could tell tales

6. July 20th, 2018 at 22:14 | #6

John’s rig worked great for him but it never did much for me. He was all about the brittle singing notes… I like mine thicker. The four Twins I used with the Airplane worked great for that band but wasn’t ballsy enough for Hot Tuna as it evolved. Hence, sundry heads through multiple quad twelve bottoms. Today with the Firebird I use a 1967 50w Marshal through a 4×12 bottom. I’m using the same Thomas Organ Company WahWah pedal I got in 1965 with the Airplane. I’m also using a Zen Drive and I just got a electro harmonix mini q tron envelope follower. Fun. For the Chet Atkins SST I use a Louis Electric Twinmaster. It’s so clean a pedal steel player could blow through it. Sometimes people talk about guitars that have vanished for one reason or another along the way. What’s gone is gone. Sometimes vintage is just old… just sayin’

7. DennisK
    July 21st, 2018 at 01:28 | #7

I say…@Tom Fabry

They rock!

July 21st, 2018 at 10:21 | #8

Looking good Jorma…Love the shirts!

9. jim hitchcock
    July 21st, 2018 at 17:34 | #9

Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler, Neck and Neck. Something in this thread must have reminded me of this wonderful album ;)

10. Sweetbac Jr.
    July 21st, 2018 at 20:00 | #10

Didn’t your brother Peter play with Johnny Winter around this time?
    Speaking of…..what’s Pete been up to?….amazing guitar player

July 22nd, 2018 at 11:09 | #11

Does anybody remember Johnny’s brother Edgar? Saw him a couple times in the early 70’s.
    He had an album White Trash in ‘71. Never saw Johnny.

12. Rich L
    July 22nd, 2018 at 15:48 | #12

I saw Edgar Winter an the old Chicago amphitheatre in the early 70’s also. I believe Ronnie Montrose was his guitarist. It was a great show. ZZTop openend up for them. No doubt that night contributed to my hearing loss.

Frankenstein is one of those songs when it comes on the radio, well, you just can’t play it loud enough. @johno

13. jim hitchcock
    July 22nd, 2018 at 18:40 | #13

Saw Edgar premiere They Only Come Out at Night at The Hollywood Palladium, Johnny and Edgar Together at The Swing while the album was being recorded.

14. Tom Fabry
    July 22nd, 2018 at 19:51 | #14

@johno
    Saw Edgar at Madison Square garden. 1974. Frankenstein, Free Ride, tunes were popular at the time. Rick Derringer opened up… My buddies went to see the Exorcist before the show. Real bright. Bottle rockets and M-80s were going off all over the place, at the concert, not the movie house on Broadway. Thank God the priest showed u in the Exorcist.

Rick is singing a different tune these days and some of the old ones. He sings about Christ. Born in Celina Ohio. Plays with Ringo sometimes.

15. Richard
    July 23rd, 2018 at 04:07 | #15

I too saw Johnny and Eger together at the old Felt Forum next to Madison Square Garden in about 1977. Was about 4 feet from the speakers,could not hear right for a few days. My hearing isn’t right because of lots of loud rock shows back then. I am also a retired carpenter,sure thats also why I have hearing lose too..

16. Mike Anderson
    July 23rd, 2018 at 11:22 | #16

Wow, I lost my hearing as an Avionics Troubleshooter in and F4J squadron (VF-103) working on the flight deck of the USS Saratoga (73-77), aircraft going into afterburner will rattle your eardrums regardless of ear protection.

17. Tom Fabry
    July 23rd, 2018 at 12:00 | #17

@Mike Anderson
    Thanks for your service Brother.
    May war be avoided at all costs, but if we need to go, may we be on the side of the angels and not some deep state, military industrial complex bullshit.
    Hope your ears heal up.

18. July 23rd, 2018 at 12:16 | #18

What?

July 23rd, 2018 at 13:21 | #19

We finally have peace on earth.
    There still are a couple small, insane skirmishes around the world. The military industrial complex must be pissed. They need a big war.
    We should be glad to have peace with Russia, N Korea and China. No more nukes.
    @Tom Fabry

20. July 23rd, 2018 at 13:57 | #20

OK… normally I don’t respond to comments like this but in today’s world, I just couldn’t help myself. I’m wondering if this is a tongue in cheek comment but without appropriate emojis, I’m guessing it’s serious. Are you kidding me? Peace on earth? Maybe some earth, but not the one I live on. No nukes? What planet are we talking about?

As for our military… I never heard anyone complain about having too much ammunition. The only way to be strong… is to be strong. This is not a political comment. I didn’t vote for Trump and I didn’t vote for Hillary. I didn’t like either one of them then… and I don’t now. How I voted is my business.

I’m flabbergasted…

But moderately serene…

Onward

21. Mitch Spector
    July 23rd, 2018 at 14:21 | #21

Party of 2
    Saturday, September 8
    at 5:15 PM
    Orange Sky
    9800 E Talking Stick Way
    Scottsdale, AZ 85256
    (480) 850-8606

Jorma
    Would have loved to meet you in Ronkonkoma last week.
    Would have been a true dream come true to share a meal with you .
    I have these reservations at a very nice restaurant for before the show on September 8th in Arizona .
    Would be my pleasure to add you and your party to dine with my son and i ,
    Been a fan of yours my whole life .Would be a blast .
    Hope you accept . We will munch out royally lol.
    Peace and love always !!

22. July 23rd, 2018 at 14:34 | #22

I’m not jaundiced .But the Peace on Earth euphemism reminds me of a pastoral Christmas card.
    I believe the world to be more in accord with, Warren Zevons “Lawyers , guns and money”or more prosaically
    Roland , the Thompson gunner.
    I like my large engined motorcycles , we don’t want to talk to the cache , music loud , and food spicy.
    Imagine.

23. Tom Fabry
    July 23rd, 2018 at 14:39 | #23

@Jorma
    Love the necessary military, yes! Many friends and family in marines and army. Trust but verify. Just hate to see them, men and woman, some kids, used as pawns in a game, by some manipulators. It was Eisenhower who coined that phrase, “beware of the military industrial complex.” Need and support the military, not the Masters of War.
    Pray and work for peace.

July 23rd, 2018 at 16:52 | #24

Didn’t mean to raise your blood pressure.
    What I mean is no more NEW nukes.
    I think we have enough.
    @Jorma

25. mark k
    July 23rd, 2018 at 17:08 | #25

People may agree or disagree on the necessity and use of “nukes” to end WW2, but as it was said “you can’t put the Jeanie back in the bottle”. Does anyone really believe that the Axis powers if they could would not have used them on us first. There are too many in the world that would gladly use them on us and on others today, and only by remaining strong with a viable and strong military can we have a chance of remaining safe. Saying that, yes world peace should be the ideal goal and hope of mankind but we all live in a reality where wars, terrorism and evil do exist, and on a smaller scale when someone is threatening your life, family or home, would you not want in that moment the tools to defend yourself.

26. Ed
    July 23rd, 2018 at 17:38 | #26

You said it, Jorma. I’m 64, and my 3 best friends from high school are still my 3 best friends. As a colleague once said to me, that kind of friendship “nourishes the soul.” Amen.

27. carey georgas
    July 23rd, 2018 at 17:51 | #27

They ain’t been peace on this earth since the first primitive societies started vying for territory eons ago. Sad thing is, the untold millions of foot soldiers and their families who have been sacrificed over all that time to settle the scores of those masters of war. The potential for peace exists. If not, the major faiths of the world are wrong. We just gotta figure it out, and believing it’s been achieved is not the place to start. Love is where it starts.

28. carey georgas
    July 23rd, 2018 at 17:53 | #28

They ain’t been peace on this earth since the first primitive societies started vying for territory eons ago. Sad thing is, the untold millions of foot soldiers and their families who have been sacrificed over all that time to settle the scores of those masters of war. The potential for peace exists. If not, the major faiths of the world are wrong. We just gotta figure it out, and believing it’s been achieved is not the place to start. Love is where the quest for peace begins.

29. carey georgas
    July 23rd, 2018 at 17:54 | #29

Well hell, I punched that button too many times

30. jim hitchcock
    July 23rd, 2018 at 18:21 | #30

@Richard
    Opening for Johnny & Edgar when I saw them was Climax Blues Band:

31. Joe from VA
    July 23rd, 2018 at 19:52 | #31

“Ideals are peaceful; history is violent.”
    Sergeant Don “Wardaddy” Collier from the movie “Fury”

32. Bella
    July 23rd, 2018 at 22:19 | #32

What is becoming of our world. I think of this often. It’s obvious to me. I always connected to these lyrics. I wished others could feel the same. Imagine what a different world “our” world would be.

Let there be peace on earth
    And let it begin with me
    Let There Be Peace on Earth
    The peace that was meant to be

With God as our Father
    Brothers all are we
    Let me walk with my brother
    In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me
    Let this be the moment now.

With ev’ry step I take
    Let this be my solemn vow
    To take each moment and live
    Each moment in peace eternally
    Let there be peace on earth
    And let it begin with me

Songwriters: Jill Jackson / Sy Miller

33. Rich L
    July 24th, 2018 at 06:38 | #33

Jeremiah 6:14 “Peace, peace they say, when there is no peace.”

The truth, I think, is we are all a lot closer to Hitler than to the Lord.

34. Tom Fabry
    July 24th, 2018 at 10:51 | #34

Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight (Hebrews 13:20)—

Hitler was diabolically disoriented and evil. Most folks want what is best for all, yet we all carry around a bit of the stain of Adam.

Someone said just be obedient to G-d and let G-d sort out the outcomes. Good advice

July 24th, 2018 at 11:22 | #35

Blessed be the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.(Matt 5:9)

36. Brett Englund
    July 24th, 2018 at 11:59 | #36

All I can offer folks is here’s to those Golden Moments

37. carey georgas
    July 24th, 2018 at 15:06 | #37

I’m not much of one for Hitler comparisons. He was an evil anomaly with only a handful of comparisons in all of history. I think most of us are like the people who, out of fear or indifference, choose to look away or remain silent when confronted with such evil. I can’t recall Dr. King’s quote, but to paraphrase, those who choose to not speak out in the face of evil or injustice are as culpable as the perpetrators in perpetuating its existence. Whether you choose to buy into the doctrine of original sin or not, we are all tainted by the weaknesses of our egos, but we all have the power available to us to overcome them. It ain’t easy, but it’s possible. Even if perfection is unattainable in this world, we all have a responsibility to work towards that end. We were given the capacity to love and the commandment to do it for a reason.

38. John B
    July 24th, 2018 at 15:20 | #38

We have our tickets for Scottsdale and Tuscon. In countdown mode now.@Mitch Spector

39. John B
    July 24th, 2018 at 15:26 | #39

A peace maker who comes in his own name is even now preparing to step onto the world stage. Many will follow after him and marvel at the words and solutions to world problems that come out of his mouth. Many will follow after him…….. @carey georgas

40. Tom Fabry
    July 24th, 2018 at 15:39 | #40

Above a tune by Dan Bern. Contemplates if someone had the opportunity to eliminate Hitler.
    Well produced song. Bern sometimes plays in a place Jorma use to play, The Turning Point in Piermont NY.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. – unsure of author. Sometimes attributed to Edmund Burke

41. carey georgas
    July 24th, 2018 at 15:49 | #41

I see a clue in “in his name” that I can’t decipher. Am I reading too much into it?@John B

July 24th, 2018 at 16:50 | #42

There are many stories that he is alive.
    Many will follow after him…
    Sounds like the Anti-Christ.
    @John B

43. carey georgas
    July 24th, 2018 at 17:45 | #43

That’s what I was thinking, but didn’t see how it fit. What I’m talking about is spiritual, supernatural, if you will. It’s not something we’ll be led to, it will be a transformational thing. Many people have been supposed to be the Antichrist, plumb back to Nero, and the world’s stil ginnin’. Anyway, that’s just what I think about it – I sure ain’t lookin’ for converts.@johno

44. July 24th, 2018 at 17:51 | #44

I think we should petition Crosby,he has opinions on everything and he expresses them with his own self proclaimed authority.Hes also a huge conspiratorial promoter.If petitioned ,he’ll solve all our problems.
    He also co-wrote one of rocks most iconic songs-Triad

45. eaglesteve
    July 24th, 2018 at 20:48 | #45

Joey? Nerfy!
    nuf’ said.

46. Art
    July 24th, 2018 at 21:47 | #46

“In a time of ignorance, one has no doubts even while doing the greatest evils. In an enlightened age, one trembles even while doing the greatest goods.”

– Montesquieu, Preface to The Spirit of the Laws (1748)

47. greg
    July 24th, 2018 at 22:03 | #47

Hey Jorma, sure am looking forward to the new hope winery show next week.
    Peace!

48. July 25th, 2018 at 06:20 | #48

There’s a Canned Heat song on Future Blues,World in a tangle”.
    It speaks to ominous international calamity and precipitous environmental change .
    Great band,great stinging guitar by Henry Vestine,”Sunflower”.
    Alan Wilson died within the Year,last time I talked to Bear Hite was in a bar loft intermission in New Haven circa
    76,he died soon after.In early 90’s I saw them in a bar in Louisville,Armando’s.
    Henry Vestine was still “buzzin”, but he sat for entire show.
    At break we spoke,I looked into eyes of a heroin addict.
    Very sad,he died soon thereafter.
    What a shame,they would have been much better off attending to their health and renouncing hard drugs.
    Epitaph -the worlds in a tangle.

Life is for the living-ride on

49. mikie
    July 25th, 2018 at 07:53 | #49

I was playing my Pair a Dice Found tape yesterday in the boat garage. Sure is a powerful rendition of the old Barry McGuire Eve of Destruction song (which, BTW, was the first song I could play all the way thru on my old Supra guitar at age 14). m

50. Mitch Spector
    July 25th, 2018 at 09:20 | #50

@John B
    Gonna be awesome !! Made my visit to see my son around the show.
    Cant wait !!