Home > Diary, Hot Tuna, Set Lists, Venues > Home… With New Year On My Mind

Home… With New Year On My Mind

From Us To You All....

From Us To You All....

Foto by Suzy Perler

So… four days late, but no dollars short. The trip to Freight And Salvage for New Years was awesome, but it’s great to be home for a bit! It was more that great to see old friends and to share our music the the folks out west!

My old buddy Wavy Gravy....

My old buddy Wavy Gravy....

Foto by Phil Jacobs

8. Good Shepherd
9. Bowlegged Woman
10. Come Back Baby
11. Can’t Get Satisfied
12. Funky #7
13. Encore: Hit Single # 1

Thanks to everyone who tried to help… above is the truth from my faithful guitar tech Myron Hart who keeps track of such things.

Ringing in the New Year with Wavy!

Ringing in the New Year with Wavy!

Foto by Phil Jacobs

More to say but the Honeydew List comes first!

Good to be home!

Categories: Diary, Hot Tuna, Set Lists, Venues Tags:
  1. Brian Doyle
    January 4th, 2019 at 13:05 | #1

The faces speak for the memories…

2. greg
    January 4th, 2019 at 14:27 | #2

Hi Jorma, I think I can help, the show went thusly:
    Aint in no hurry
    Second chances
    I’ll be alright
    Barbeque King
    Things that might have been
    Let us get together
    Death dont
    Terrible operation
    In my dreams
    Come back baby
    San Fran bay blues
    Keep your lamps
    Living in the moment
    I am the light of this world
    Trouble in mind

Electric:
    I see the light
    Hesitation blues
    Walkin blues
    Talkin about you
    Sleep song
    Trial by fire
    Ode to Billy DEAN (Johno)
    Wavy Gravy countdown
    Good Shepherd
    Bowlegged women
    I wish you would
    I cant be satisfied
    Hit single #1

Looks like a great time

3. Seth
    January 4th, 2019 at 14:37 | #3

Yeah, Greg’s looks right. You definitely did not do Rock Me Baby that night, Jorma.

4. greg
    January 4th, 2019 at 15:56 | #4

Ok, a correction on the setlist:
    after Bowlegged woman
    Electric Come back baby
    I cant be satisfied
    Funky # 7
    Hit single

Happy new years everybody!!

5. Joey
    January 4th, 2019 at 16:54 | #5

Epic!

6. dedhedken
    January 4th, 2019 at 17:30 | #6

Made the 30th & 31 dates. I really enjoyed the Freight & Salvage (my 1st time). Audio was so clean (to me anyway). It sounded great in there. That Marshall teamed with the Les Paul, WOW! Sonic Stratosphere, as always with you folks.

Happy New Year & thank you Jorma, Jack, & Justin.

January 5th, 2019 at 09:56 | #7

Wow! Almost 30 songs. Just like the good ole days.
    Happy New Year to all!

8. Uncle Jack Blind
    January 5th, 2019 at 12:40 | #8

Wow, Wavey,i thought he passed a couple years ago, glad i was wrong

January 8th, 2019 at 12:56 | #9

Just heard more about Woodstock 2019. The 50th Anniversary of Woodstock in Bethel, NY. The dates are August 16-18, 2019. So far rumored to be headlining is Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters also mentioned are Bon Jovi and The Who. Methinks that acts that were at the original concert, that are still playing, like John Fogarty, Crosby, Stills and Nash and Hot Tuna should be there also. I’m going – it’s only 30 minutes from my summer home in the Catskills. What a nice facility – if you haven’t been back to the garden. Check it out. And New York is gonna legalize weed this year. I can’t wait.

10. richu
    January 9th, 2019 at 02:48 | #10

Happy birthday Jorma..A little late I know but I been buried and u know we ain,t getting no younger.Is the rumour that you are workin song for the fire maiden into the acoustic set true? gee I hope so..h.n. y.

11. carey georgas
    January 9th, 2019 at 16:14 | #11

Maybe I got my cynics cap on today, maybe it’s just a case of geezeritis, but what got me going first off was I read about plans to do a 50th anniversary celebration of Altamont with the Stones headlining again. I thought, really? What seems to be a most poorly planned event that lead to a violent death and untold ass kickings? I can’t think of any other reason to “celebrate” the symbolic beginning of the end of the dream other than someone’s gonna make a ton of dough. Is the Woodstock anniversary show any different? We can’t recreate our youth. We can remember. We can keep the connection by following the ones still with us and listening to what the ones who have passed left for us. Woodstock was a singular event in our generation’s history. The beautiful monument in Bethel is most appropriate. I guess some sort of memorial musical event is in order, but as for me, I ain’t interested in watching Pearl Jam or the Foo Fighters doing a Woodstock “tribute” show. I mean, really, have any of you been to a Beatles tribute performance? I’d take Jorma and Jack playing in a coffee house over any of that shit every time. I ain’t judging anyone who is excited about it or wants to go. Just a contrarian’s point of view.

January 9th, 2019 at 19:47 | #12

So I guess I get a little carried away. I wouldn’t go see the current headliners. But I would go if some of the older current bands such as The Stones, Crosby Stills and Nash and John Fogarty play and hopefully Hot Tuna. I heard they are gonna have a oldies day. I just want to have some fun. Last August I saw John Fogarty and Peter Frampton there – it was a smoking show. Also saw a great show by Hot Tuna there last year. Woodstock was an iconic moment. It’s a historic site. Don’t marginalize what happened and still happens there.

13. gregg
    January 9th, 2019 at 20:42 | #13

Yea J heard on 6 pm news site for event will be near Watkins glen i guess only place avail. g

14. carey georgas
    January 9th, 2019 at 21:22 | #14

@johno
    Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s great that a musical venue is at the site. I’d go to a show there in a minute. When I went to see the place a few years ago I could feel the history and I swear a lingering positive energy in the air. Ain’t nuthin’ wrong with wanting to have some fun. I hope you have a blast!

15. carey georgas
    January 9th, 2019 at 21:40 | #15

Oh, and I do notice Hot Tuna is in the area and the 18th is open. If Tuna, Fogarty, CSN, Santana, and the remainder of The Who were to show, then that’d be a different story. I might recant some of my rant were that the case.

16. Rob
    January 10th, 2019 at 01:02 | #16

I think that the Altamont 50th thing is rumor or a flat out joke. Why would anyone wanna celebrate that? Who wants to risk unleashing those dark forces again? I did a quick search and didn’t see anything about an event. Woodstock 50th makes sense, although the idea of some of the bands mentioned above being there along with an “oldies” day is cringeworthy. Still, at least Woodstock is worthy of a celebration. Hope the weather holds out this time and there’s no nasty brown acid floating around.

17. ham Neggs
    January 10th, 2019 at 08:52 | #17

Wonderful to see Mr. Romney, the head of Woodstock security already on the case. Wavy helped the medical unit with the first case that arrived, For this and more of his tales find a copy of Something Good For A change.
    The festival was dedicated to John Sinclair and I would find it fitting if The Patti Smith Group played a set.
    For people who have heard of the Rainbow Gatherings, it was at Woodstock that Garrick Beck had his vision of a gathering.
    As to the brown acid, one tale I heard was that when Chip Monck made the announcement there was a happy gent running around yelling “The brown acid is great”
    Happy Trails
    Peace
    Love All Ways

18. carey georgas
    January 10th, 2019 at 09:00 | #18

Agreed. I think I read it in a newspaper article, not online, but hell, I’m gettin’ old, so maybe it was a dream or I’m just confused. I searched also to no avail. Woodstock is indeed worthy of celebration, but to have an “oldie day” just sounds kinda weird. It’s all about the oldies. You can’t catch magic in a bottle.

January 10th, 2019 at 09:10 | #19

When I said oldies day I meant bands or band members who were at Woodstock 1969. There aren’t many left but there are a few i.e. CSN, Santana, John Fogarty, The Who etc

20. carey georgas
    January 10th, 2019 at 09:13 | #20

@ham Neggs
    There was a rainbow gathering in a national forest near Lufkin, Tx, an hour and a half north of me 30 or so years ago. I did not attend, but I got a kick out of the local news coverage and reactions. Thangs like that jist ain’t s’posed to happen down here behind the pine curtain.

21. Tom Fabry
    January 10th, 2019 at 09:56 | #21

Legacy of Woodstock – the history books will better tell its full impact, in all its manifestations. Quite a tribal thing… Saw Marley play at Madison Square Garden once. Talk about tribal.
    The genesis or watering/feeding/embedding of lots of false spirituality, new age stuff, do as thou wilt kind of crap was at Woodstock.
    Not sure of this stat – 3 births, a good thing, 3 deaths, not good.

Great to stop the war and promote civil rights, but there are plenty of folks who were severely negatively affected by the drugs, and no rules anarchy, chaos, drop out thang…. heck some say the CIA were behind the scenes or in the scene. Doubtful the CIA was involved w the brown acid though.
    Just another view.

So when you will be crossing Jordan, do not fear, Jesus will offer to be your engineer. Most will answer yes.

22. Sweetbac Jr.
    January 10th, 2019 at 12:28 | #22

Hell, I’d go to a 50th anniversary of Altamont

23. carey georgas
    January 10th, 2019 at 12:45 | #23

@Sweetbac Jr.
    Now there’s a man who ain’t afraid to speak his mind. Right on!

24. Sweetbac Jr.
    January 10th, 2019 at 13:39 | #24

think about it…Altamont had a better lineup than Woodstock

Altamont: Rolling Stones, Jeff Airplane, Grateful Dead, Santana, CSNY, Flying Burritos.
    Woodstock: Canned Heat, Melanie, Ten Years After, Tim Hardin Sha Na Na..
    let me repeat that…SHA Na Frickin’ Na.

I think I made my point.
    See ya down front in the pit!

January 10th, 2019 at 13:45 | #25

I’m pretty sure there was only 1 death at Woodstock. Poor kid was sleeping in his sleeping bag at end of the Festival and a tractor ran him over.
    @Tom Fabry

26. carey georgas
    January 10th, 2019 at 13:48 | #26

Don’t forget Joni Mitchell. She’s still kickin’.

27. gregg
    January 10th, 2019 at 14:07 | #27

Hey lets not forget arlo, if not for arlo we might be saying woodwhat g

28. carey georgas
    January 10th, 2019 at 14:09 | #28

Good call, Gregg.

29. AndyK
    January 10th, 2019 at 14:21 | #29

And the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival set the tone with many of the acts that headlined Woodstock. . . . Jimi Hendrix, Janis, the Who, Grateful Dead. Oh, and of course, the AIRPLANE!

January 10th, 2019 at 14:27 | #30

The Airplane, Dead, CSN and Santana were all at Woodstock too. And Jimi Hendrix!
    @Sweetbac Jr.

31. Tom Fabry
    January 10th, 2019 at 15:15 | #31

God bless Brother Richard Havens… Did that gig with his teeth removed and he sang Motherless Child, Freedom… a long way from my home, yeah, yeah, yeah…Mother, Father, Sister, Brother.

32. January 10th, 2019 at 15:39 | #32

Joni Mitchell did not attend.
    Check out ragged bunch on the dick cavett show on the Monday night following( Jorma in front row).
    I was sitting in my parents house watching cavett , my fathers comment regarding band members on show
    “they all need a bath”
    At 16 it was the best “battle of the bands “ I had seen
    Kudos to Airplane/Who/Canned heat and Creedance(“the band that woke up half a million after the band that put 1/2 million to sleep).Dead had a dismal set.
    Janice’s new band barely fired, but Sly was a visual and audial treat.

In my humble opinion Townsend/Daltrey/Entwistle /Moon stole the show( the Abbie Hoffman headbashing doesn’t get much press.Who cared about Sinclair jailed in Michigan for a joint.
    As for Altamont,I think angels got a bad rap.
    I believe musicians and performers have responsibilities as well,I’d hold Mick responsible.
    Saw Doors in new Haven ,I didn’t need to see Morrison’s Johnson and the crowd was riotous.Saw Canned Heat in 1971 at Merrywether post or some “Mill “ outside Baltimore ,.Crowd pushing people through plate glass.

Woodstock was no garden,but most of the music was sublime.3/5 ths and won’t you try /Saturday afternoon stood out in airplane set.

In conclusion ,I wouldn’t walk across street to see Pearl Jam & Bon Jovi

Ride the music

33. carey georgas
    January 10th, 2019 at 17:08 | #33

@Greg martelli
    Thank you for correcting my conflation. I was thinking appearance, not song. We dang sure on the same page with Pearl Jam and Bon Jovi.

34. carey georgas
    January 10th, 2019 at 17:54 | #34

@johno
    Don’t forget Johnny Winter, a brother from southeast Texas!

35. AndyK
    January 10th, 2019 at 18:17 | #35

@carey georgas
    Can’t forget Johnny. I was fortunte to see him in Tarrytown, NY at his last show with brother, Edgar, a few months before Johnny left us.
    No Johnny, no Stevie Ray…But nice that Gary Clark Jr. is carrying on that Texas blues guitar sound!

36. Art
    January 10th, 2019 at 19:39 | #36

@Sweetbac Jr. Also missing from the heavily edited Woodstock list above: The Who, The Band, Joan Baez, Sly & The Family Stone, Creedence Clearwater, Joe Cocker, Ravi Shankar, Country Joe & The Fish, Butterfield Blues Band, and, uh Janis Joplin. Sheesh.

37. carey georgas
    January 10th, 2019 at 21:27 | #37

@ham Neggs
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1988-05-22-8801010224-story,amp.html Looky at what I found, Ham Neggs. It was plumb comical around here when ‘em damn rainbow people come to town. Seems like where I am and where you are are different countries, if not planets. Peace.

38. DennisK
    January 11th, 2019 at 15:55 | #38

@Art
    Don’t forget John Sebastian. I had a nice chat with him after he opened for Jorma, Jack and Michael Falz, in Mt. Tabor, NJ. He joined the band later on harmonica. Living legends all.

39. January 11th, 2019 at 16:03 | #39

99% of what I saw at Woodstock wasA+ .
    I had not heard of Santana prior to Fest.
    Canned heat was nimble as Henry Vestine had quit 10 days before to form Sun in texass.(Texas), but Harvey Mandel did Yeomans job , very Pshcycodelic.
    Incredible String band -sukked

January 11th, 2019 at 17:08 | #40

I missed Woodstock. I went up there with good intentions – all ready to go. But driving up Route 17 the state troopers had already closed down the exit to Bethel and forced all the traffic to the next exit 5 miles away. I wasn’t ready to leave my car, a yellow VW beetle, that contained my tent, sleeping bag, food, supplies etc. and go walk 20-25 miles to the concert. Plus I had no ticket. Figured I would buy one off a scalper. Me and my friends decided that it wasn’t worth it. Boy were we wrong. Biggest disappointment of my young life. I was 17 at the time. We went to a nice campground right on a river and got high all weekend.

41. ham Neggs
    January 11th, 2019 at 17:49 | #41

Texas Gathering people were told to camp next to their cars. Police helicopters over the center prayer circle on the Fourth of July. Imagine wanting to pray in the forrest for peace.
    Wavy and Buffy Saint Marie have attended gatherings over the years.
    The tribe will gather somewhere this July.
    Peace Love All Ways
    @carey georgas

42. carey georgas
    January 11th, 2019 at 18:27 | #42

@ham Neggs
    If you want to get an idea of what the locals down this way are like, watch the movie “Bernie”. Bernie Tiede’s trial was held in San Augustine, TX, maybe 30 miles from where the gathering was held. Hell of it is, thirty years later the reaction to the rainbow people would be pretty much the same as it was back then. The Orange Haired one took over 80% of the vote from here north to the Oklahoma border, and you’ll see way too many confederate battle flags proudly displayed between here and there. Oh well.

43. Tom Fabry
    January 11th, 2019 at 19:00 | #43

Let’s not forget Brother Alvin Lee, I’m Going Home at Woodstock.. He could certainly rip it up.
    He has gone home, Jesus gonna be his engineer.
    Some believe the deep state had their mitts in with the Rainbow folks from early on.

44. John B
    January 11th, 2019 at 19:08 | #44

I agree 100% .@carey georgas

45. John B
    January 11th, 2019 at 19:09 | #45

Deep State is all around us………@John B

46. John B
    January 11th, 2019 at 19:12 | #46

Great story johno! One of my biggest regrets was taking a pass on the Watkins Glen festival. For some odd reason I decided to work that weekend….some of my friends quit their jobs and went…..so it goes…. @johno

47. jim hitchcock
    January 11th, 2019 at 22:45 | #47

@carey georgas
    Forget Johnny! You can’t be serious!

48. jim hitchcock
    January 11th, 2019 at 22:49 | #48

@Tom Fabry
    Johnny and Alvin Lee had an European gig scheduled when Lee died. That would have been some show.

49. carey georgas
    January 11th, 2019 at 23:03 | #49

@jim hitchcock
    Hot damn! You ain’t lyin’ there!

50. January 12th, 2019 at 00:05 | #50

I’ve had the pleasure of talking to Arlo twice,between sets at Armandos in Louisville 89 ish ,we talked labels and promotion ,his early 70’s& late 60’s albums were superlative.Brooklyn Cowboys,Running down the road,with Clarence White & Jesse ed Davis.Arlo is riding about a 250cc Triumph scooter.Than saw him in a Coffe shop
    Probably mid September in Lexington a coffee shop in downtown Lex .Talked for about 10 and than he walked across street to Hilton.I called front desk and asked for A Guthrie.The young receptionist on other end of line who A Guthrie was so she patched me to his room.He was in Lex .to rehearse for two nights as in November they were going to Carnegie Hall with university of Kentucks symphony orchestra and they were doing two nights in NYC ,just before Thanksgiving to do Alices Restuarant.Arlos a cool guy.

Regarding Johnny Winter ,he’s on one of Clapton’s crossroads shows sitting playing bottleneck,among all the guitar luminaries on the stage ,his performance was singular.

Comment pages