Home > Diary, Hot Tuna > Town Hall… Come One Come All!

Town Hall… Come One Come All!

November 26th, 2019 Jorma Leave a comment Go to comments
Steve, Jack, Justin and I having a really good time!

Steve, Jack, Justin and I having a really good time!

Yes folks… Thanksgiving is around the corner and around the corner from that is Hot Tuna’s return to Town Hall in New York City! Jack and Justin and I are really looking forward to this two day run November 29 and 30. We’re dusting off a couple of old chestnuts that we haven’t played in, well… a while. We’ve also got our good friend Steve Kimock on board for these dates. We’re planning on filling the room with notes and more notes!

These are our only electric dates until later next year so we’re really counting on kicking out the jams… as they say!

Have a great Thanksgiving y’all and we sure hope to see you this weekend in festive New York City!

Categories: Diary, Hot Tuna Tags:
  1. Bernie
    November 26th, 2019 at 21:47 | #1

Psyched for Friday! I’ll be the one with the pretty wife right in front of you! ;-)

2. Richard
    November 27th, 2019 at 07:04 | #2

Looking forward to seeing HT at Town Hall..I will be there both nights..Cant wait!!!!

3. Todd Ellenberg
    November 27th, 2019 at 10:04 | #3

Have fun in the Apple and Happy Thanksgiving! The South Florida posse is looking forward to you kicking it out electric in Fort Lauderdale on New Year’s Eve!

4. AndyK
    November 27th, 2019 at 10:44 | #4

Seeing Electric Tuna this week is yet another thing to be thankful for on Thursday!
    Perhaps Sleep Song is the antidote for the tryptophan? Then again, maybe we will be treated to Walkin’ Blues or Feel So Good.

5. Tom NY
    November 27th, 2019 at 11:59 | #5

@AndyK
    How about an electric Genesis?

6. Hogan
    November 27th, 2019 at 12:10 | #6

TUNA in “THE HOUSE”….tearin it down….

Enjoy….

:-)

7. Joey
    November 27th, 2019 at 12:15 | #7

Oh my I wish I could be there. But I won’t miss the Fla shows. They will be epic. I didn’t miss autumn Tuna shows in NYC for many years, not to mention several New Years Eve shows at Fillmore in SF were awesome.
    There’s a special vibe.
    I hope the NY crowd is vibrant, if not rambunctious.

8. Ed
    November 27th, 2019 at 12:17 | #8

Speaking of chestnuts, that singalong “White Rabbit” at the Tabernacle two years ago was so awesome…I wonder if the Town Hall audience could nail the vocals as well.

November 27th, 2019 at 13:17 | #9

I haven’t heard “Feels So Good” in decades. That would definitely be a chestnut. That song used to be Tuna’s Anthem. Can’t wait to see the boys in action.

10. AndyK
    November 27th, 2019 at 13:25 | #10

@Tom NY
    Would that be a first?

11. Susan
    November 27th, 2019 at 14:41 | #11

Yup…..front row Jack’s side….Saturday night! Can’t wait!

12. George Henn
    November 27th, 2019 at 16:51 | #12

For Joe K from a few days ago, who was looking for good eats…Heartland Brewery is right next door to Town Hall. Enjoy!

13. AndyK
    November 27th, 2019 at 17:04 | #13

@Susan
    Nice!
    Best seat in the house to see Jumpin’ Jack Flash!

14. Steve
    November 27th, 2019 at 17:22 | #14

Bright Eyes-I called it. HFM!!!!

15. joe K
    November 27th, 2019 at 17:29 | #15

@George Henn
    Thx for the heads up.
    I saw that when looking at maps. I would think my son wouldn’t mine since he’s in the Beer Industry.

16. carey georgas
    November 27th, 2019 at 21:20 | #16

Ya’ll have fun.

17. Tom NY
    November 28th, 2019 at 01:54 | #17

@AndyK

Hello Andy. No, that would not be a first, for an electric Genesis to occur. There is a great live version of Genesis on Double Dose….with keyboards as well.. How bout that?! Jorma’s voice juxtaposed and surrounded by some keyboard pads and licks.
    Jorma’s voice had quite the attitude. The whole thing is very minimalistic, a little spooky as it creeps along

Above is a link.

The original Genesis and Quah was produced by Brother Jack.. This live version and the entire Double Dose album was produced by Felix Pappalardi of Mountain, and 2 others…Gail Collins
    Producer: Don Gehman…

Mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce.

Peace to all…and may we all have accelerated growth as we age. We are made for growth.

18. chinaski
    November 28th, 2019 at 13:09 | #18

A Happy Thanksgiving to the entire extended Tuna family!
    Another year come and gone and a few less seated at the table this time around and perhaps a few new faces are present. I am so appreciative of friends and family who reach out and watch over me for I tend to hide in the shadows.

As I stream Alice’s Restaurant Massacree this time each year I always picture Jorma, Jack, Papa John and Sammy accompanying Arlo along the lines of Let Us Get Together Right Down Here. That would’ve been cool to see and hear.

Again Happy Thanksgiving all and do count your Blessings.

19. Tom in St.Louis
    November 28th, 2019 at 13:36 | #19

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    See ya (relatively) soon at the River City Casino.
    That’s sort of a strange place for Hot Tuna, but it’s just ten minutes from our house and the PA will be better than the one at the Sheldon. I hope.

20. Sweetbac Jr.
    November 28th, 2019 at 16:27 | #20

I’m hearing rumours of a 45 minute “Party Song” opener….then “Yellow Fever” in it’s entirety.

21. Stephen S
    November 28th, 2019 at 21:01 | #21

@Tom NY
    Widespread Panic plays an electric version of Genesis at live shows, also bow legged women can be found on utube

22. Steve
    November 28th, 2019 at 22:04 | #22

@Sweetbac Jr.
    I’d pay to see that…..

23. Tom NY
    November 29th, 2019 at 09:09 | #23

@chinaski
    Oh Good Shepherd

24. Andy D
    November 29th, 2019 at 11:10 | #24

Taking out my “If left out in the sun…” T-shirt, art that your first wife created.

“Road and Roads &” or a 35 minute “Invitation” please…!

25. AndryK
    November 30th, 2019 at 02:01 | #25

WOW, WHAT A SHOW!
    Batted .667 as I was treated to Sleep Song and a rousing rendition of Walkin’ Blues.
    Yes, ‘Tom NY’ they also played a really nice Good Shepherd w Steve Kimock.
    Other highlights included Feel So Good, Easy Now & and Serpent of Dreams.
    Beautiful encore of Water Song. Wish I could go tomorrow night too!

26. Maureen
    November 30th, 2019 at 09:03 | #26

Love, love , love. Cannot believe there were empty seats.

27. Richard
    November 30th, 2019 at 10:35 | #27

Great show last night at Town Hall NYC..Goin back for round 2 tonight..The boys were real hot and never fail to satisfy…Never been to Town Hall and it is a lovely venue..I think built by the Suffragettes in the !920s..

28. John B
    November 30th, 2019 at 11:13 | #28

Sleep Song Was Awesome.
    @AndyK

29. John B
    November 30th, 2019 at 11:16 | #29

Death Don’t Have No Mercy was incredible…….Oh Good Shepard Off the rails last night. Is that black guitar a new one Jorma ? I can’t recall seeing it before and the sound you were getting out of it was outstanding. Kimock fit right in last night and had more then a few stellar moments . Hot Tuna is nailing it these days ……..See you tonight !

30. AndyK
    November 30th, 2019 at 16:34 | #30

@John B
    Yes it was!
    And Walkin’ Blues was a real treat.
    Great show capped off by Water Song!

31. carlo pagliano
    November 30th, 2019 at 20:58 | #31

Rock Them All Tall Tonight, Jorma!

32. Richard
    December 1st, 2019 at 09:27 | #32

Two great shows at Town Hall in NYC..The boys were real hot as always..After the two shows I dont feel tired but I feel satisfied!!!! Thanks HT for such a good time….

33. carey georgas
    December 1st, 2019 at 10:59 | #33

Just finished a massive article about Altamont in The Washington Post. The Captain was one of those present who was quoted in the article. I thought the quote encapsulated the times succinctly.

34. eaglesteve
    December 2nd, 2019 at 12:28 | #34

Both Town Hall shows were spectacular. Thanks

35. Sweetbac Jr.
    December 2nd, 2019 at 13:40 | #35

I was in FULL 70’s mode for these gigs….I was the dude in the balcony screaming “JAWMA!” and “WHERE’S JACK?”!….brought me RIGHT back to the Palladium, I tell ya!

36. John B
    December 2nd, 2019 at 14:12 | #36

They sure were eaglesteve…the place was on their feet….everyone !@eaglesteve

37. Andy D
    December 2nd, 2019 at 15:39 | #37

Took my 25 year old to night 2, forced him to listen to “all that stuff (he was) forced to listen to while growing up”…

He thought Jack must have been a punk the way he was running around (and jumping!) all night.
    He thought every note played by Steve was sublime.
    He thought “Jorma must have been a guitar god when he was younger”…

Outa the mouth of babes!

38. carey georgas
    December 3rd, 2019 at 10:48 | #38

I gotta thank you, Jorma, for your song, “Ode for Billy Dean”. I been studying minor and major keys, but had yet to make the connection between the minor key and the dominant minor chords. I was tinkering and hit some notes that reminded me of “Ode”, and before you could say “ Am Dm Em”, it clicked and a moment of clarity was upon me. Your song helped me make a little breakthrough, and I’m grateful.

39. Ed
    December 3rd, 2019 at 18:14 | #39

Apologies to everyone for how long this is, but it was an inspiring night…

The Reverend Gary Davis was 76 years old when he died in 1972. Jorma turns 79 this month. Jack is 75. As a retired journalist and really bad guitar player who’s 65, I’d say I’m the youngster here but that would be leaving out my son Ethan, who’s 23.

The Reverend inspired a lot of people including Jorma, who has himself made a lot of people want to play just like him. (I told him once that I was cured of that by reading “Been So Long,” in which he says he always tells his children and students that a key to a happy life is realistic expectations.)

And realistically, it’s a given that your children will not necessarily be enamored of the music you love — and vice versa. A colleague once told me that on a long car trip with his two young children, after being subjected to a barrage of Raffi songs, and a shorter but vehement barrage of “Where’s Raffi? Where’s Raffi?” when he turned off the CD player, he shouted, “Raffi’s dead!” His children believed him, which did not have a calming effect.

While it’s true that I did not generally share my sons’ appreciation of rap, two of my most enjoyable concert experiences were when I took them to see the Anger Management II show, and Lil Wayne. My sons were around 10 and 8 for the former and when Lil Jon took the stage, within five minutes they had heard the word “motherfucker” more than in their entire lives to that point. We all thought that the music was very entertaining, too.

I went with Ethan to hear Electric Hot Tuna at Town Hall in New York last Friday night. Just before the second set began, a man stopped in front of our seats. He had apparently spent at least part of intermission at the bar. He said to my son: “The worst part of the show is about to happen. You’ll be sorry your father dragged you here.”

Though he was nearly overcome with delight by his spontaneous display of wit, before weaving away he reassured us that he was “just busting chops.” (Ethan had, in fact, come voluntarily – we saw acoustic Hot Tuna together last year in Vermont – but we didn’t want to trouble him.)

The second set included “Death Don’t Have No Mercy,” which one could argue is the Reverend’s greatest song if such things were worth arguing about. Jorma and Jack have been playing it for half a century, of course. It still pierces. It’s a good reminder to live.

When the show ended, my son said to me: “I’m really glad they played ‘Death Don’t Have No Mercy.’ I like it a lot.” He’d heard a recording of Hot Tuna playing it, and also knew it from a Grateful Dead version.

Another song the Reverend made memorable, of course, is “Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burning.” The blues – and a lot of us – are old now, and the flame has passed through many hands. But on the cusp of 2020 it’s burning, brightly.

40. Gary S
    December 4th, 2019 at 01:00 | #40

Went Saturday night, thanks again Jorma and Jack! 13 songs in New Haven in August just wasn’t enough, had to go for the two sets electric. Jack was putting all that exercise to good use! Dragged a friend down there, told him they were better than a half-speed Dead n Co and Phish combined. He was in full agreement before Bowlegged was half done. Nicely done, boys!

December 4th, 2019 at 11:35 | #41

The boys rocked NYC to it’s core. Wen

42. HOGAN
    December 4th, 2019 at 12:15 | #42

Looks like Myron is killin it…..

:-)