Home > Diary, Fur Peace Ranch, Venues > The Weekend And Number Five

The Weekend And Number Five

Well, it rained today, but I did get a hundred mile ride in on Monday!

By the mighty Ohio near Marietta

By the mighty Ohio near Marietta

Foto by Jorma Kaukonen

Just passed a long string of barges

Just passed a long string of barges

Foto by Jorma Kaukonen

Just a great day for a ride… and about time, I might add.

back at the Ranch…

Zammy, Aslan and me invite our souls

Zammy, Aslan and me invite our souls

Foto by Vanessa Kaukonen

With Diesel going for $2.31 and gas $1.40 or so, I just wish I could head out and do more driving. Well, it could be worse, that’s for sure. I took the Mule down to the Shade to check out the post rain haps. When the rain came in our bottom land started to flood but the new bridge held its own.

The crest just receding

The crest just receding

Foto by Jorma Kaukonen

The river comes and goes as it will. A day later it was like this.

Getting back to normal

Getting back to normal

Foto By Jorma Kaukonen

In a month or so, there will be hardly any water in the mighty Shade.

Between storms, there’s always a sunset.

What's not to like?

What's not to like?

Drone shot by Jorma Kaukonen

Well, I’ve been getting some new/old gems together for the Quarantine Concert #5 and I’m really looking forward to breaking them out. Here’s the link for the May second show:

Rain or shine, be there or… you know…

See ya on the small screen!

Bear with me

Bear with me

Foto by Vanessa Kaukonen

Categories: Diary, Fur Peace Ranch, Venues Tags:
  1. Joe from VA
    April 30th, 2020 at 07:46 | #1

Jorma, nice pic of your bike—looks like the traffic was unseasonably “light.” The wife and I rode our Harleys the Sunday before last (me: a cayenne red and black 2015 Heritage Classic; wife: a vanilla with gold specks 2015 Heritage Deluxe). Both have had phase 1 upgrades (loud pipes save lives!!).

Given your time living and gigging in the DC area, you’ll probably recognize the ride we took. From Ashburn, we headed into Leesburg on Rt 7, then grabbed Rt 15 North to Point of Rocks and took Lovettesville Rd into the little ‘burg of Lovettesville. Stopped and had a picnic lunch on their town green right on a bench on the town’s war memorial—very nice. Local constabulary did not bother us.

Left out of Lovettesville on Rt 287 south headed to Purcellville, and then headed east through Hamilton and then south to on the Harmony Church road back to Rt 15 south of Leesburg and then home.

Wx in the mid-50s, sunny, low winds. We actually forgot about COVID—imagine that. Boots up, wheels down, always. Looking forward to #5. Best regards, Joe

2. John R.
    April 30th, 2020 at 08:10 | #2

Nothing like a good nap with a couple of kitties to help you out.

3. April 30th, 2020 at 08:13 | #3

Very nice Joe… very nice indeed.

Jorma

4. greggg
    April 30th, 2020 at 09:32 | #4

There s a mungo jerry stay at home offering on you tube just posted,touch the sky . yea mungo jerry !! g

5. carey georgas
    April 30th, 2020 at 12:03 | #5

Damn. Those pics of the Shade got my city-bound ass jonesin’ bad for some bottomland hardwoods and backwater. Keep ‘em comin’.

6. MarkD
    April 30th, 2020 at 13:24 | #6

New\old gems you say…hmmm, Hamar Promenade might fit in nicely…I wonder how that old Police Dog is doing these days? I’m sure anything we haven’t heard in a while will bring smiles to us all.

All blessing to you and those you care about.
    Stay healthy,
    MarkD

7. George Henn
    April 30th, 2020 at 15:00 | #7

Rockabilly Shuffle would do it for me. Thanks for the Saturday nights, Jorma (and crew).

April 30th, 2020 at 15:20 | #8

Today is the Reverend Gary Davis’s birthday.
    Happy Birthday Reverend!!

9. Judge Jim
    April 30th, 2020 at 16:11 | #9

Nice Jorma – love seeing those shots of the river and out and about and the drone shots – Jim

10. carey georgas
    April 30th, 2020 at 16:12 | #10

Hey Orangeman, you threw a gauntlet in Jorma’s last post about what is a hippie. I’ll give my take. First off, since I ain’t seen you coming around here (at least, in this iteration), I’ll tell you my perspective comes from that of a small town Texas boy who was 14 years old during the “summer of love”. My mom was in Austin working on her PhD in British lit, and I got to go out and stay a few weeks and had free roam of the college campus and surrounding area. Coming out of the box, I always felt the messages of peace and love quite strongly, and that was appealing to me. As I got older, peace and love stayed at the core, but in a few years I was the student on campus with the long hair protesting the war as it was winding down.

As for the hippie, it was first an idea. The explosion of freedom of thought after WW II was challenging old ideas on everything from race and gender to drugs and religion. The hippie way of life was an open and accepting way of life. Only thing was, we were all young then and didn’t have a clue how damned much work it takes to live a lifetime of openness and acceptance. Once the numbers of us wearing beads, headbands, burning incense, etc.,etc.,etc., reached a critical mass, the people who get rich off fads stepped in and after that the hippie became a caricature, eventually assimilating as just another quirky aspect of our society.

The idea meant something to me then, and still does today. I took psychedelics a few times over a couple of years after I went to UT. I read The Doors of Perception, The Teachings of Don Juan (A Yaqui Way) and Be Here Now. Ram Dass tells a story in that book about his Yogi in India taking a handful of tabs and perceiving no effect from the drug. That’s kind of what happened to me. LSD did make me literally feel the interconnectedness between all things. When I started feeling that connectedness even when I wasn’t tripping, the drug lost its appeal and I haven’t done it since. The same vibration of creation exudes from all things created. Even the stones cry out! Quantum mechanics puts it in scientific terms, but it is very central to the way I perceive spirituality. That “aum” is ever present. Everywhere in every thing. I was introduced to it through the hippie culture and it affects how I live to this day. I ain’t no hippie, I just am.

11. Ed
    April 30th, 2020 at 17:36 | #11

Nice post, Carey. Those were the days. When I was a 14 in New Jersey, elderly women stopped me on the sidewalk and ask me why I wanted to look like a girl (the hair).

QUESTION FOR GUITAR PLAYERS: Since we all seem to have a bit of time to chat about stuff, I’d appreciate some expertise. For anyone who knows the Garcia/Grisman version of “Casey Jones,” is Garcia’s syncopation fiendishly difficult? (Seems like it to me, but maybe it’s not for people who are actually good.)

12. The Orangeman
    April 30th, 2020 at 17:53 | #12

@carey georgas
    cg – thanks for writing all that out – very interesting, and I would have some comments and maybe questions about what you wrote.

But first – not my place to “throw gauntlets” here on Jorma’s blog. No intent to, I don’t know, issue “challenges” if that is how it seemed . . . not clear to me what is okay with Jorma here or not – where that “line” is, and that it might be in one place today, and in another tomorrow, depending upon what is written and how it comes across to him. That is why, if you go back to my post where I suggested a discussion on the topic on which you just wrote, that it was in the form of a question to Jorma, to first determine whether there was interest in such a thing, and then if it was acceptable to proceed. Whether he chooses to address it is of course his business, but unless I get much of an “all clear” or maybe “pretty much clear but be careful” sign from him, I don’t want to cause unwanted inconvenience or offence to our gracious host here. After all, he is offering of himself here freely that those who read these posts are interested in for whatever reason, not to mention the recent free Saturday night streamed concerts. So he is certainly entitled to due regard for his benevolence and generosity. Who in their right mind would slap at a person like that?

What you wrote, to me anyway, is not something that anyone “reasonable” (acknowledging that such a term is subjective) would object to. Nicely stated. Myself, I don’t mind people engaging in controversy, asserting their opinions and beliefs, with the awareness that, by “going public”, they subject themselves to cross-examination and criticism, thus they should be ready and able for that. On my end I welcome what may be controversy (but not for it’s own sake – seems that over the past decades that the society has become hyper-sensitive and controlling, unnecessarily censorial) and intellectual challenge, but I have seen that some do not do very well with it, often because their views are not very well informed or well-founded and/or thought through, and when the inconsistencies are pointed out, instead of resolving the deficiencies, they become irrationally abusive and argumentative.

Again, this forum is about what is of interest and acceptable to Jorma, and I do not wish to encroach on that. (The wrath of Jorma is not what I wish to incur.)

Thanks for your consideration.

13. Brian Doyle
    April 30th, 2020 at 18:11 | #13

Saturday god with the gray hair and beard will play from acoustic heaven…

14. The Orangeman
    April 30th, 2020 at 18:16 | #14

@Ed
    While I’m here, Ed –

For one accustomed to fingerpicking using the alternate-bass style, that tune is not that hard. I would not be intimidated if I were you. If you are not up on that technique, as he is a master at it, I suspect that Jorma has some teaching material that would help you. You might also look up “Travis guitar picking” (after Merle Travis) on YouTube and you will find some useful demos and explanations. As with all such things, you need to work at it – kind of tedious along the way (you got to want it!) and after awhile it will become routine (and you will be amazed at some of the cool stuff you can start to coherently project by means of the git-box!)

15. carey georgas
    April 30th, 2020 at 21:25 | #15

@The Orangeman
    I didn’t mean gauntlet in a purely literal sense. Sometimes I talk like that. One of the drawbacks to faceless/voiceless communication. I hope that I would be the very last person to ever offend Jorma’s sensibilities as to what is posted on his most unique blog.

16. richard
    May 1st, 2020 at 00:09 | #16

Hello jorma…getting ready for weekend show..can you share any thoughts about see weed strut in beloved D tuning from beloved phos rat.long time ago I know but? I’m nosy.

17. Arthur R. Friedman
    May 1st, 2020 at 03:30 | #17

JORMA,

In your tale in Quarantine #4, you mentioned Jerry told you, “Too much clutter”.
    I have been processing this a lot and decided this is excellent advice.
    Watch this video of Sugaree.
    Notice how amazingly he applies his advice.
    This is a magnificent example of how he removes clutter.
    I can only sum up the video, audio, musical instrumentation, vertical movement, and execution in one description, “pristine”.

Enjoy.

Warm regards,

ARTHUR from the Birchmere
    Arthur Friedman

18. May 1st, 2020 at 08:25 | #18

Hey Richard… a one time off goof… It’s a tuning I got from Crosby via Kantner many years ago. It’s D A DD A D. Strings four and three… the double D, are the same note. Firsts and fifths only. Interesting with limited usage from where I sit today. Thanks for asking.

19. Tom
    May 1st, 2020 at 08:46 | #19

@carey georgas
    I was in a class once w Jorma and he adamantly stated, “we were not hippies” when we were discussing something about JA. He seemed determined to separate himself from that scene. He mentioned something about wearing the nice and fancy cloths.

I would presume that in someways those bands in the 60s inspired or fueled the hippie thing, but those men and woman were more from the beatnik world.

I know your goal is not to repeat tunes during the Pandemic Series. I am unsure if that has been accomplished to date, but True Religion has yet to arrive….I think.

20. Richard K
    May 1st, 2020 at 09:52 | #20

Just listening to Steady As She Goes..My Beatrice always laughs when “if This is Love”comes on..I like it too..

21. John R.
    May 1st, 2020 at 10:46 | #21

@Richard K
    “I wanna speak to the man in charge.”

“Where do I pick up my reality check?”

22. carey georgas
    May 1st, 2020 at 10:54 | #22

@Tom
    We’re on the same page, Tom. The civil rights movement, the Stonewall raids – that stuff was introduced to the cultural consciousness partly through the Beat movement. The Hippie was mostly a “fig newton” of the cultural imagination (as I calls it), but the peace and love aspect of it grew from the war. There was a kernel of an idea that quickly morphed into hyperbole and caricature. By the time my hair grew long, I just identified as a “longhair”, as we were called down here. Not a hippie, as previously stated. Peace, brother.

23. Bob S
    May 1st, 2020 at 13:00 | #23

Anybody else notice how fast the weeks seem to fly by during lock-down? I would have expected the opposite. Go figure…

24. Joe G
    May 1st, 2020 at 13:30 | #24

Jorma,

I have tickets to see Hot Tuna this July 10 @ the Paramount in Huntington. Is this going to be rescheduled? I can’t see any concerts happening this year.

25. Tom
    May 1st, 2020 at 14:09 | #25

@carey georgas
    Interesting pointa Carey… I buried friends in part due to the “hippie scene” along with the breakdown of the family.
    Stopping the war was critical… 58k American dead for what, million of Vietnamese.., Remember the death counts presented by Walter Conkrite?

Environment protection was good but now they have turned it in to Gaia worship and a religion.

As Paul wrote, Paul the friend of Silas, “God will abandon you to your own reprobate minds.”

I remember someone who was observing some Dead Heads at a restaurant stop after a show. The person said, referring to the Dead Heads, “they are great in context.”

Not sure what the latest craze is but glad the Rev’s music survived. It inspired many. happy b Day Rev

26. Ham Neggs
    May 1st, 2020 at 14:54 | #26

Nat Hentoff wrote about the Beatnik’s little Hippies in 1957, yes five seven in the Village Voice. Maybe it was the children clinging to their mommas hips. The Village Voice also called Hot Tuna the premier punk band in 1977. Jorma you were always the groovy,hip,freshbuttah bombs to us. Lmfao
    Peace Love All Ways

27. Ham Neggs
    May 1st, 2020 at 15:20 | #27

Let’s go Mets
    Peace Love All Ways

28. eaglesteve
    May 1st, 2020 at 15:55 | #28

Jorma, if I remember correctly from reading your book, during of the earliy 60s folk music time, you lived in Queens, NY. Can you remember exactly where? Any chance it was off Woodhaven Blvd., near St. John’s cemetery?

29. The Orangeman
    May 1st, 2020 at 16:26 | #29

Interesting reading from some aging hipsters about the hippie era . . . by the time it filtered down to me, practically it was about gettin stoned, drinkin beer, listening to rock n roll, persuing chix, stuffin yer face, cycling through the TV channels (only VHF and UHF back then), and falling asleep.

For the more intellectual participants I suppose, there was an interest in philosophy and spiritualism (whatever that is) of some sort. The libertarian dimension of it – individualism, wide-open freedom and liberty in some vague sense – remember that minor hit Funky Nassau – “mini skirts, maxi skirts, and Afro hairdo – people doin their own thing, don’t care about me or you” – resonated with me rather than the leftist, violent revolutionary attempt to appoint themselves the ones to “turn the (historical) page” and impose some strain of collectivizm on the populace, whether they be “ready” for it or not.

May 1st, 2020 at 16:57 | #30

@Tom
    He inspired me for sure. .
    it would be so cool if Jorma played something from Gary Davis on Saturday.

31. richard
    May 1st, 2020 at 17:42 | #31

@Jorma
    I get it,and thanks for the reply.I still use it as a template with a single low e dropped and it works just fine.See you Saturday.

32. Cub Culbertson
    May 1st, 2020 at 19:07 | #32

Howdy Jorma. Just wondering if we might hear a little “Another mans done a full go round”? Love Roy’s tune and really love your version. Having lost a good friend during this virus (not from the virus) this tune keeps circling in my head. Thanks for listening and yea, lots of us miss the pho dinners. Special times indeed! Thanks for making Saturday night something to look forward to again!

33. May 1st, 2020 at 23:44 | #33

No, I lived in Manhattan at 72nd and Amsterdam. My mentor, Ian Buchanan lived in Forest Hills.

34. Richard K
    May 2nd, 2020 at 05:36 | #34

Jorma :

Isnt that where they filmed “Panic in Needle Park” or is that 72 and Broadway?

May 2nd, 2020 at 06:20 | #35

@eaglesteve
    Funny you should mention St Johns cemetery in Middle Village.
    My 18 month old sister is buried there.
    It was a requiem for an angel.

36. Richard K
    May 2nd, 2020 at 07:57 | #36

@johno
    Answered my own question..It is on 70th where Amsterdam and Broadway converge..It is called Sherman Square..

37. Richard K
    May 2nd, 2020 at 07:59 | #37

@Richard K
    Sorry hit the wrong Reply button..

38. eaglesteve
    May 2nd, 2020 at 10:18 | #38

Thanks Captain.
    Johno: Many members of my family are in that cemetery.

39. Jeffrey Mackenzie
    May 2nd, 2020 at 10:47 | #39

Thanks so much for the Saturday night shows, they’re awesome. One song I would love to hear is I Want You To Know. Looking forward to tonight. Thanks again for sharing memories and songs. Your’re the best!

May 2nd, 2020 at 12:06 | #40

How about playing some “Roads and Roads” tonight Jorma.
    I don’t think you played that one yet.

41. Sweetbac Jr.
    May 2nd, 2020 at 14:31 | #41

Sasquatch sighting in south-east Ohio..a lumbering figure carrying drum gear and headed toward the FPR…could it BE?…Steeler?…hmm…the plot thickens!

42. eaglesteve
    May 2nd, 2020 at 17:33 | #42

Here’s an oldie to consider:
    Song for the High Mountain……..and some others:
    I Belong To That Band
    Valley of Tears
    Day to Day Out The Window Blues
    Hamar Promenade

And Captain, should Larry and Jack ever show up and you way to electrify., String Jet Rock in honor of Papa
    ‘nuf said

43. Joey Hudoklin
    May 2nd, 2020 at 23:42 | #43

Great show tonight Jorma. But, they’re ALL great! Letter to the north star and another man done gone caught me off guard. What fun.
    Afterward, my girl Amy & I picked up, she’s a good musician, and did sea child, in the kingdom, all along watchtower, summertime, and whinin’ boy blues. You definitely got us inspired tonight. Thank you, as always♡

May 3rd, 2020 at 07:13 | #44

Another great show last night.
    “All Along The Watchtower” was a huge surprise.
    Lots of music, lots of stories and even a shout out to New Paltz.
    Thanks so much to Jorma and the crew for doing these concerts.

45. eaglesteve
    May 3rd, 2020 at 14:48 | #45

Thanks for #5. I dug it.
    Hear’s a title for a song you might consider writing:
    6′ Feet O’ Separation

46. Brian Doyle
    May 3rd, 2020 at 20:55 | #46

I read about Fremont and his western adventures and politics back in school in the early 80’s…When I through-hiked the entire New York Long Path in 1987 the section near Piermont over the Hudson River had Fremont’s grave right on the path…

47. Tom
    May 3rd, 2020 at 21:03 | #47

Happy Good Shepherd Sunday.

Nice show Jorma and Vanessa and all.

Living Just For You… Has that ever been part of an acoustic set? I saw it electric at Fur Peace once. Boom!! I know you don’t want to do repeats… Living Just For You would be interesting to see you do solo.

Thanks for True Religion.

48. Joey Hudoklin
    May 4th, 2020 at 11:18 | #48

I forgot to mention. The land of heroes was a complete surprise! Love that song. Never thought I’d hear you play it.

49. John Q
    May 4th, 2020 at 12:53 | #49

Thanks from me too! I also appreciated “All Along The Watchtower”. I’m aware that Jack played with Hendrix, but this had me wondering if in your journey you had any encounters (stories to share) re: Mr. Hendrix or Mr. Dylan?
    Also, we’re also thinking of Jack during these “extraordinary” times. Perhaps you can dial him in. I saw a Q&A you guys did post show in Dallas a few years ago and he DOES like to spin a story!

50. carlo pagliano
    May 4th, 2020 at 13:20 | #50

Hallo Johno. New Paltz as every day is a new day, but the blessing of our brotherhood with Jorma started the night Easy Rider first appeared in the cinema halls, I was younger than my grandchildren now. And now next Saturday Concert number 6 with the global chorus singers to top the already great night. Stay well Johno!

Comment pages